MAKE ME A SAW!

TheFossilHunter

Have you ever been to South Texas near Roma, I have access to a ranch down there where I have could not put my arms around a palm log. It was broken into three parts. I will be going down again soon, and will take some pictures of a couple of homes in Roma that have some of these logs for fences, you will not believe this. Have found several fern buds and bundles of fern stems too, and some large bones that have been turned to agate, might be mammoth, don't know, their still there. Found a tusk once but is was powdery and crumbled when touched, guess it wasn't done yet. Some complete alligator's were found but not by me, the owner showed me pictures of one that was dug up about 15 years ago and though the tail had been broke it seemed to have died yesterday.

Can't wait till the weather gets just a tad cooler.

jpbowden you may send me plan and prints together plus a material take-off im going 2 build it and weld it for him

I will start working on that tomorrow, he has explained what he needed, so first thing to do is a 360 deg. vice the ideal is simple, functional, cost efficient. scape yards and salvage yards here we come.

Also, for what he is going do here, instead of a closed tank system maybe a cabinet, it would require less metal, welding and labor. Coolant will be done by use of a spray recovery type, and he would have more access to the material. There would not be any heavy top to lift just sliding doors to open.

jpbowden you may send me plan and prints together plus a material take-off im going 2 build it and weld it for him

MICHAEL. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?? I NEVER SAID YOU WOULD BE WELDING THE SAW FOR ME. pLEASE DON'T TALK TO OTHERS ON MY BEHALF BEFORE TALKING TO ME FIRST! THANKS.

jpbowden, please disregard what he said and take your time with the designs. there is no rush at all. thank you.

Hey Guys, I will be putting complete design paks of several types of saws together and post them as rar or zip files where I don't know. Sizes will be 8, 10, 14 18, 24, 30, 36. Paks will include fabrication blueprints, material take-offs, assemble notes, places to buy parts and the flow sheet to get it complete. Mike first......

Have you ever been to South Texas near Roma, I have access to a ranch down there where I have could not put my arms around a palm log. It was broken into three parts. I will be going down again soon, and will take some pictures of a couple of homes in Roma that have some of these logs for fences, you will not believe this. Have found several fern buds and bundles of fern stems too, and some large bones that have been turned to agate, might be mammoth, don't know, their still there. Found a tusk once but is was powdery and crumbled when touched, guess it wasn't done yet. Some complete alligator's were found but not by me, the owner showed me pictures of one that was dug up about 15 years ago and though the tail had been broke it seemed to have died yesterday.

Can't wait till the weather gets just a tad cooler.

I have not (now added to the long list of places to visit before I leave this life). Sounds pretty incredible. I look forward to the pictures.

This saw topic is getting very interesting. Thanks.

Hey Guys, I will be putting complete design paks of several types of saws together and post them as rar or zip files where I don't know. Sizes will be 8, 10, 14 18, 24, 30, 36. Paks will include fabrication blueprints, material take-offs, assemble notes, places to buy parts and the flow sheet to get it complete. Mike first......

Thanks a lot jpbowden. This is an incredible contribution to the forum and a great help for many who will ever need a saw.

Mike

Given the exceedingly pricy cost of a saw blade and the reality that your going to need more than 1 HP motor (I've got a 1hp table saw running a 10" blade and stall it frequently. I would suggest that for anything approaching that kind of size range you should think about a diamond cable saw instead of a solid bladed saw. You loose some of your stability but a diamond blade in a angle grider will do alot to flatten a surface once cut.

That said I've never used one but I've seen them used during the making of tombstones and if memory serves the cables they used ran around $200.

Being a cable saw all you need is a motor with a pully and a spring loaded tension arm. then push the arm down slide the piece into the loop and let the cable work it's way through...

Desmond.

I think you are right on the horse power of the motor for a 30 inch rock saw. Now I have a 18 inch saw that uses a 3/4 hp motor and it does fine, no stalling, but I do feed the rock into the stone at a pretty slow rate. I did some checking and I believe a 36 inch saw would nee a 3 - 4 HP motor (220 v).

The Eocene is my favorite

Given the exceedingly pricy cost of a saw blade and the reality that your going to need more than 1 HP motor (I've got a 1hp table saw running a 10" blade and stall it frequently. I would suggest that for anything approaching that kind of size range you should think about a diamond cable saw instead of a solid bladed saw. You loose some of your stability but a diamond blade in a angle grider will do alot to flatten a surface once cut.

That said I've never used one but I've seen them used during the making of tombstones and if memory serves the cables they used ran around $200.

Being a cable saw all you need is a motor with a pully and a spring loaded tension arm. then push the arm down slide the piece into the loop and let the cable work it's way through...

thanks i think ive seen those but I am not sure how big a rock you can cut with it. the ones Ive seen didnt seem to allow you to place huge rocks on that platform..

Desmond.

I think you are right on the horse power of the motor for a 30 inch rock saw. Now I have a 18 inch saw that uses a 3/4 hp motor and it does fine, no stalling, but I do feed the rock into the stone at a pretty slow rate. I did some checking and I believe a 36 inch saw would nee a 3 - 4 HP motor (220 v).

I agree on the horsepower. I have a 10 inch saw and i thing it uses a 1 hp motor or even more powerfull. a 30 inch saw would require a 2 hp at least..

Desmond, if you are in stall, your feed rate is to high, slow feed finer cut and will bring the loading of the motor down, in fact you can use a smaller motor. I ran an 18" saw for years with only 1/4 hp motor.

Saw blades are costly at the least, with that said, the Chinese blades that have come on the market to my surprise are cheap and of good quality. As long as you don't eat them your safe. But as far as everything else goes, TheFossilHunter and I have had a talk about and what he has is a need for special equipment that will fill his needs. But I hate "one use" machines, that is not efficient and you never get its cost back in it's working cycle. So his will be designed with attachments the will change it in such a way as to let him do more and help him regain the cost of its construction. I also believe in recycling and love junk yards, industry and military surplus yards.

Saw blades are costly at the least, with that said, the Chinese blades that have come on the market to my surprise are cheap and of good quality. As long as you don't eat them your safe. But as far as everything else goes, TheFossilHunter and I have had a talk about and what he has is a need for special equipment that will fill his needs. But I hate "one use" machines, that is not efficient and you never get its cost back in it's working cycle. So his will be designed with attachments the will change it in such a way as to let him do more and help him regain the cost of its construction. I also believe in recycling and love junk yards, industry and military surplus yards.

Thanks jPbowden.

It sounds like you are a true expert.

Ive had similar experience with chinese blades. I am still using the 14 inch one i bought for my gas powered saw a year ago and it still has half life on the teeth. same story with the 10 inch i bought for the stationary stone saw I have.

Mike

Just a note, I really haven't a clue if any of you use big saws but for me, I like to cut big chunks of agate and wood, I also like to carve gem stone and need a way to remove that which is not needed. My all around saw was a Covingtion 18", I kept it at my Dads farm for a long time, will he got rid of the place and the saw too without telling anyone..... By by saw. So for the last two days I have been working on something that may be of value to some of you. It is an indexing saw, it will let you cut large material with a smaller saw. You will be able to make 360 dig cut and slab or trim large areas precisely. It will take welding, bearings, gears and pipe, bar stock and a little machining. It can be built any size you want and be safe if done right. The first indexer is 8" and will hold 200 or so pounds. Also included will be prints for 6-10" trim saw, 14-20" automatic feed saw, and 24-36" saws. It may be possible to design a conversion kit for existing saws for the indexer.

If anyone is really interested please let me know before I waste my time........

Just a note, I really haven't a clue if any of you use big saws but for me, I like to cut big chunks of agate and wood, I also like to carve gem stone and need a way to remove that which is not needed. My all around saw was a Covingtion 18", I kept it at my Dads farm for a long time, will he got rid of the place and the saw too without telling anyone..... By by saw. So for the last two days I have been working on something that may be of value to some of you. It is an indexing saw, it will let you cut large material with a smaller saw. You will be able to make 360 dig cut and slab or trim large areas precisely. It will take welding, bearings, gears and pipe, bar stock and a little machining. It can be built any size you want and be safe if done right. The first indexer is 8" and will hold 200 or so pounds. Also included will be prints for 6-10" trim saw, 14-20" automatic feed saw, and 24-36" saws. It may be possible to design a conversion kit for existing saws for the indexer.

If anyone is really interested please let me know before I waste my time........

I dont understand much of how this all works, but it sounds like magic...I think , if you pull this off, you should be voted the next member of the month, after Solius has been dethroned:)