Collecting Microfossils Without Breaking The Bank Part 2

Herb

Part 2

Fossil mounts cont. I cut the ID lables to fit the coin holder I am going to use and glue it in the box using a glue stick. Let the glue dry, and coat the numbered area of the lable with a 50/50 mixture of white glue and water. Do not put it on thick, a thin coating will do. When this dries the holders will be ready to use.

The blank area at the top is for location information.

E) Magnifiers:

You can use a hand lens of 20x to view the prepared sample but this will get real tedious if you are doing much looking. There are several other relatively cheap options.

USB stand alone cameras. These you plug into your computer and get a real time picture on the screen of what you are looking at with the use of the included software. These cost from $20 to $50 depending on which one you buy. I have included 2 that I have, they take decent pictures and aren't hard to use. They are basically small digital cameras. I have included some pix from them also.

post-2520-0-42654300-1343437917_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-62373500-1343437943_thumb.jpg

PIX:

post-2520-0-96317400-1343438024_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-43533200-1343438037_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-79921900-1343438050_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-66113200-1343438109_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-71335000-1343438130_thumb.jpg

Another type of USB camera I use is used in conjunction with a binocular microscope.

This obviously is not as cheap but still not too bad, about $220 for a 5.1 M camera. A 1.3M is about $100, and on up to higher resolutions.post-2520-0-86949500-1343438389_thumb.jpg

You can buy a serviceable binocular microscope for as little as $140. I found a nice new Russian made one for $250. post-2520-0-04797400-1343438567_thumb.jpg

F) Sorting tools:

I purchase various sorting trays from dollar stores and use different ones depending on the color of the matrix I am looking through. Dark for light and light for dark. Any smooth very shallow sided container can be used. See pix.post-2520-0-86818300-1343438821_thumb.jpg

To sort out the micros in the trays I make my own disecting needles from dowel rods and sewing needles of various sizes. Make a hole in the end of the dowel rod and glue in a needle.

When you find something you want to keep you can use a fine tip artists brush or make your own by cutting out most of the hairs from a small model brush. Leave only a couple hairs. Moisten the brush tip (I use spit ^_^ ) and apply a little moisture to one of the boxes in your coin case. Use the disecting needle to isolate the fossil in the dish and touch the moist brush tip to the fossil, like magic it will stick, and transfer it carefully to the moistened spot on the case. The fossil will stick to the case. It can still be moved until the glue dries. If you need to remove it at a later date a little water on the brush applied to the fossil will break it lose. post-2520-0-49853300-1343439642_thumb.jpg

Lable the slide and have fun.

There are lots of web sites out there to help with identification. The best one I know of for foraminifera is Foraminifera.eu.

I hope this helps someone, feel free to contact I you have any questions. If I don't have the answer I'm sure someone else on th FF will .

Edited by Herb
  • I found this Informative 1

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Great topic, Herb. Thanks!

If I may add, this is a great way to continue fossil hunting when the weather keeps you inside.

Steve

When working with micro material, be careful not to sneeze....

post-6808-0-25330900-1343443366_thumb.jpg

Context is critical.

Nice set up Herb... thanks for sharing your optical configuration..... for under $300 used, one can acquire a 12-14 megapixel mirrorless interchangeable lens camera body, with live view.... superior imaging capabilities.

PL

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Herb,

thanks for your two posts and sharing your experience.

Apparently there is interest in your posts and a couple of serious microfossil hunters from the US are posting on the Fossil Forum. I suggest you offer a weekend workshop on microfossil hunting. Good companianship is maybe the most valuable asset in microfossilhunting. Someone has to take the lead to bring people together :). We had a nice workshop last year and 20 people came from allover Germany+Austria. Just an idea :) If of interest we would give support.

MIchael

PS: Your sample arrived, thanks a lot, I will send an email on the details.

Foram-Mike, Owner of www.foraminifera.eu
So far we show 12000+ images of foraminifera online for free

Send us your images, samples and specimens to enlarge our coverage

FeuLogoblack.jpg