Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LaWitty

Nihahi Ridge Shark Teeth - Where They At?

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

dunno if this will be seen, or answered anytime soon but i was curious where abouts the shark teeth can be found on Nihahi Ridge. Iv been up there once so i know the ridge is pretty big. hoping for some tips where to look - landmarks, rock type/colour etc.

Thanks in advance

I had no idea you could find shark teeth there. Let me do a bit of research and see what I can come up with.

I've collected lots of Carboniferous shark teeth from Nihahi Ridge. they are in the limestone scree matrix on the west side as you wind around and catch a glimpse of the Elbow River 'way below'. Look closely for bluish black ( calcium phosphate) teeth ....be patient. Once your eye catches one or two then they will be easier to spot. The lighting conditions make a big difference. (A few years back I was preoccupied looking down when a big grizzly strolled by).

Not an easy hike up but quite scenic. Also, the same formation can be found throughout the area. There are actually more specimens in the Moose Mountain slopes up Canyon Creek...a hard hike up but well worth it. Also, lots of other invertebrates ,brachs, Crinoids, blastoids, trilobites,etc. Best locale for teeth in the area is into Raven Lake but it's a long 8 km hike in and then a strenuous stretch up to a knife edge ridge overlooking The western part of Kananaskis country.

Super hiking area.

Edited by Northstar