Tar Pit Fossil Question

Dave Albert

I purchased a coyote skull (missing lower jaw) from a fossil dealer in Tucson a few years back. It was advertised as coming from an older collection, collected somewhere in the San Joaquin Valley (possibly McKittrick?).

When I purchased it, I didn't think twice about authenticity. The dealer is reputable and has been around for a long time. However, as time has gone on, I've considered the idea that anyone could take a modern coyote skull, dip it in tar, and do some things to make it look aged.

I don't think that's the case, but not being an expert in tar pit stuff, I'm wondering if anyone on the list has knowledge in this area. Is there anyway to verify authenticity on a piece like this? Anything to look for?

If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to post more pics. Would love to hear from anyone out there who has knowledge of tar pit fossils.

Here's a pic on FB: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=55154789416&set=a.55152679416.50144.540139416&type=3&theater

I tried to view the picture on Facebook but got an error message. I would be interested in seeing some pictures of the skull you have. I spent a bit of time at La Brea working with Canis dirus skulls so I have a little knowledge in that area.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

I know what you mean...

I always buy fossils in the spur of the moment, not even thinking about authenticity. It's only later that i come to my senses and question what i have bought (although sometimes i am just being paranoid).

How much was it? If it was relatively cheap i would be more suspicious.

No matter what we say here, pictures can't allow us to give you a definite answer, the best thing would be to take it to a professional in person. Your local museum perhaps?

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

...I can certainly put up better ones (close ups) if you'd like to take a look...

Would you please?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I can see why you would have a question about this skull. They find both CANIS latrans and CANIS dirus in these tar seeps and I agree that a cheap price is a red flag, in some cases. I collect Ice Age skulls and extant specimens can sometimes make you nervous when you consider buying it. There are ways to tell and in if I had this skull I would have removed any tar from it because it looks like from your photo that its covered in it. Heres a photo of a real Ice Age Coyote for comparison.

mikey

302971_151732781584503_543822813_n.jpg

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

The pic doesn't tell me too much, personally, but I have a tar pit skull, also. I purchased it from the man who prepped it, and trust him very much. I can tell you that it doesn't seem fossilized, so much as preserved...if that makes any sense.

So, while I can't help with your specimen, it seems that tar pit fossils can be a bit...different than other fossils in heft and solidity.

EDIT: Mikey and I were posting at the same time. Excellent skull, Mikey. How hard is it? The white teeth throw me off a bit.

Edited by 32fordboy

I have prepped several skulls from LaBrea tar pits. The best way to tell if the piece is authentic is that the bone and teeth from a tar pit fossil is very porous and much lighter than plain bone. Real, complete tar pit skulls rarely come on the market and are very expensive when they do. If you paid less than several thousand dollars for this skull, I would question it's authenticity. Also, while tarpit skulls are pleistocene (ice age) they bear little resemblance to other commonly seen ice age fossils (many of which are also fake).

The pic doesn't tell me too much, personally, but I have a tar pit skull, also. I purchased it from the man who prepped it, and trust him very much. I can tell you that it doesn't seem fossilized, so much as preserved...if that makes any sense.

So, while I can't help with your specimen, it seems that tar pit fossils can be a bit...different than other fossils in heft and solidity.

EDIT: Mikey and I were posting at the same time. Excellent skull, Mikey. How hard is it? The white teeth throw me off a bit.

The skull is from a Middle Pleistocene sand and gravel site in Nebraska not from a Tar Seep. I should have stated that. ;)

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Thanks for all the comments guys! I've posted more pics on Flickr for anyone who's interested:

As you can see, it's not a "tar covered" as the original pic may have indicated. The one thing I find odd about this skull is back - other coyote skulls I've looked at are rounded in the back, where this skull protudes more. Also, it's labeled as a "Canis Leophagus" -- classified as a "small wolf." I Googled that classification and only found 1 reference to it which didn't tell me much. The skull does have some heft, but it's hard to guage because it's connected to the wood base you can see n the pics.

Mikey--you mentioned some ways to tell - other than what's been stated, any tips? Thanks.