Nz Fossil Dealers?

Carcharodontosaurus

Does anybody have a list of fossil dealers in New Zealand? I have been looking online, but nobody seems to have decent specimens to buy. I'm looking for dealers in dinosaur/reptile teeth, bones and the like.

Links to Australian dealers are also welcome, as long as they don't require PayPal*.

*I tried to use it, and I could never figure out how to do so.

Paypal is incredibly simple, and I'd use it if I were making an international transaction. It's simple and there's a degree of buyer and seller protection. If you're having trouble, someone here can probably walk you through it. Add to that, it will open up the possibility of buying from the U.S. eBay, which is often the best price to get fossils affordably.

Paypal is incredibly simple, and I'd use it if I were making an international transaction. It's simple and there's a degree of buyer and seller protection. If you're having trouble, someone here can probably walk you through it. Add to that, it will open up the possibility of buying from the U.S. eBay, which is often the best price to get fossils affordably.

PayPal never worked too well for me. It was too confusing. :wacko:

You're really handicapping yourself if you don't use it. For Australasia, the U.S. is almost always the best way to get fossils affordably. I'm sure there's someone who could walk you through it.

Do you have an account?

What do you mean? Yes, I do have a PayPal account.

When I could finally get my card verified, it showed less money than the card actually had. The card had around $200 on it, but it only displayed $9.00.

I asked them for help, but that only raised more questions. I eventually gave up. My Asperger's may have been the reason for my confusion.

The local museum's gift shop is a good source for fossils. I got most of mine there.

Edited by Carcharodontosaurus

If I understand your problem, you're equating the balance of your card (a savings account?) with the amount stored in your paypal. Think of paypal as a separate bank account, from which you can draw and deposit into your other account. So if it says that there are $9, that means that paypal is holding $9 for you. That's not a reflection of the amount of money you have in your attached bank account.

Edited by THobern

If I understand your problem, you're equating the balance of your card (a savings account?) with the amount stored in your paypal. Think of paypal as a separate bank account, from which you can draw and deposit into your other account. So if it says that there are $9, that means that paypal is holding $9 for you. That's not a reflection of the amount of money you have in your attached bank account.

Basically, I've decided to give up.

That's your choice, but it's one that will make things a lot harder, a lot less secure and a lot of more expensive. And from what I can tell, it's based on a simple misunderstanding. From what you say, Paypal is working fine, you've just misunderstood what you're seeing.

That's your choice, but it's one that will make things a lot harder, a lot less secure and a lot of more expensive. And from what I can tell, it's based on a simple misunderstanding. From what you say, Paypal is working fine, you've just misunderstood what you're seeing.

The local museum's gift shop is fine for me. I just wanted to see if there were any more good dealers. :)

Museum gift shops are incredibly overpriced and have very little choice. This is what you're missing out on;

http://www.ebay.com/...-/165722/i.html

I disagree about the poor selection. My local one has a very good selection of fossils. I got a very nice Carcharodontosaurus tooth there.

Could a staff member please close this? It's getting a bit offtopic.

LOL if every thread that went off topic was closed there would be none left :)

I am unaware of any fossil dealers in NZ, although i do know quite a few in Australia. This is perhaps the best local dealer- www.fossils.com.au

I agree with THobern however, if you sort out your Paypal issues, the whole world of online fossil selling is at your finger tips. Trust me, it is amazing. I was ONLY buying locally (like you) for the first 4 years of my collecting. The specimens were good and the prices OK, but once i started online fossil buying (Ebay, dealers etc) it completely changed everything. The amount of quality fossils for sale is tremendous. I was viewing fossils from many species that i had never seen for sale before with my local sources. There is no going back for me now. My collection would be a LOT worse (in terms of quality/rarity) if not for buying online.

Edited by Paleoworld-101

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

LOL if every thread that went off topic was closed there would be none left :)

I am unaware of any fossil dealers in NZ, although i do know quite a few in Australia. This is perhaps the best local dealer- www.fossils.com.au

I agree with THobern however, if you sort out your Paypal issues, the whole world of online fossil selling is at your finger tips. Trust me, it is amazing. I was ONLY buying locally (like you) for the first 4 years of my collecting. The specimens were good and the prices OK, but once i started online fossil buying (Ebay, dealers etc) it completely changed everything. The amount of quality fossils for sale is tremendous. I was viewing fossils from many species that i had never seen for sale before with my local sources. There is no going back for me now. My collection would be a LOT worse (in terms of quality/rarity) if not for buying online.

Even with that sort of store, the prices are extortionate. You'll find that you only have to pay a 1/4 of the price, and have so much more choice. And, as I've already said, it doesn't appear that there is anything wrong with your paypal.

Well, there is also the import tax. And the conversion of NZ dollars to US/UK/Martian dollars.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/fr/

The values are every day revised.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

You people have given me hope once again. :)

But that means I'll have to build my funds again: The local museum is getting a new shipment of Moroccan dinosaur fossils, and I need to prepare for a pet lizard that will be rather expensive to look after,

You people have given me hope once again. :)

But that means I'll have to build my funds again: The local museum is getting a new shipment of Moroccan dinosaur fossils, and I need to prepare for a pet lizard that will be rather expensive to look after,

Glad to help, what type of lizard by the way? I love animals as well as fossils.

Oh gettin off topic again haha

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

Glad to help, what type of lizard by the way? I love animals as well as fossils.

Oh gettin off topic again haha

Eastern blue-tongue skink.

Anyways, back on topic before an admin comes in.

Eastern blue-tongue skink.

Anyways, back on topic before an admin comes in.

I thought it would be a bluey, usually is.

Have you posted a topic in the member collections section showing all your fossils? I'd love to see them! My topic is buried somewhere in the past pages of the section lol

*Oh lol it seems you found it haha!

Edited by Paleoworld-101

I thought it would be a bluey, usually is.

Have you posted a topic in the member collections section showing all your fossils?

No, the image files are too big to be put in posts.

I think I might upload more pics into the gallery within the next week or so, including more pics of the Carcharodontosaurus tooth.

No, the image files are too big to be put in posts.

I think I might upload more pics into the gallery within the next week or so, including more pics of the Carcharodontosaurus tooth.

I have that problem as well, hence why i posted the pics in my collection thread across about 4 posts in a row. What you can do however is lower the resolution in the cameras settings, hence producing a smaller picture with a smaller file size.

Now that I've found what the 'problem' was, can somebody please provide me a list of good dealers in both fossils and fossil replicas? Please only list dealers you have actually bought from. ;)

Note: I'm not planning on buying online anytime soon, but in the future I probably will.