Cretaceous Turtle

Foshunter

The two pieces come from the same location as other turtle material from the North Sulphur River but are way different to anything I have found before. Both pieces seem to be complete specimens from an unknown marine turtle, also curious about the indentions in the middle of the pieces, any clue out there. I have searched Oceans of Kansas without much luck, have seen older posts where members have identified fragments before so hope you can help with these. Thanks---Tom

post-3940-0-72074000-1344610358_thumb.jpg

post-3940-0-65431200-1344610401_thumb.jpg

post-3940-0-90552800-1344610403_thumb.jpg

post-3940-0-06303800-1344610438_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Looks to me to be more like a big armor plate! Off of what I have no idea. Just does not look like turtle! Nice find.( Maybe reptile)!

I notice you are located in Fla. When were these fragments found?

Did you know that a specimen almost complete was found near the Ladonia crossing at the

red bed tylosaur coprolite deposit?

I think that there are some pics on the find in the Dallas Paleo web site.

BTW: Looks to me like the glyptodont material found there.

Is it fully perminerialized?

Bone2stone

Edited by bone2stone

I notice you are located in Fla. When were these fragments found?

Did you know that a specimen almost complete was found near the Ladonia crossing at the

red bed tylosaur coprolite deposit?

I think that there are some pics on the find in the Dallas Paleo web site.

BTW: Looks to me like the glyptodont material found there.

Is it fully perminerialized?

Bone2stone

I lived in Paris, Texas and hunted the river for some 25 years before relocating to the Panhandle of Florida, was back for a visit and hunt this spring. This is an older find, that since retireing, have time to photograph and try to identify. Yes, it is fully fossilized, will check out Dalles Paleo, maybe you are on to something, Most of the Pliestocene material I have found is a carmel tannish to white, have some posted in my gallery, lost so many pictures when the site crashed, trying to replace them when time available. Thanks---Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

also curious about the indentions in the middle of the pieces, any clue out there.

I have found turtle bone with the same indentations. I believe these bones form the margin of the shell and the indentations are where the rib ends rested, probably attached by ligaments.

I have found turtle bone with the same indentations. I believe these bones form the margin of the shell and the indentations are where the rib ends rested, probably attached by ligaments.

Agreed. I have a partial turtle from Kansas with the same indents on the marginal pieces. But the ones here are HUGE! That was a massive turtle. Likely a very large Protostega.

Sorry Foshunter,

The link to the Sulphur River turtle find seems to have been deleted.

If your specimen is perminerialized then dissmiss the glyptodont input.

IT probably is turtle.

BTW: I know a couple of arrowhead buds from Paris Tx.

Bone2tone

Agreed. I have a partial turtle from Kansas with the same indents on the marginal pieces. But the ones here are HUGE! That was a massive turtle. Likely a very large Protostega.

Thanks Al Dente and X-Man for the info., have found a lot of pieces but these were the first, usually pieces of plastron,have some upper shell pieces would like to post later for an ID if you guys will take a look---Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

Sorry Foshunter,

The link to the Sulphur River turtle find seems to have been deleted.

If your specimen is perminerialized then dissmiss the glyptodont input.

IT probably is turtle.

BTW: I know a couple of arrowhead buds from Paris Tx.

Bone2tone

Hunting arroheads in the Sulphur is what started my fossil collecting, the best of both worlds down there, never know what you will run across. My wife claims I will collect anything if it will stand still long enough--LOL, she is correct. I have hunted several times with a guy from Roxton that has a point collection that will make your jaw hit the ground, he has arrowhead radar--Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"