Spring Creek, Alden New York (Devonian)

Cluros

Hi Forum Members! I was hunting along Spring Creek in Alden, New York with my wife last week when I found this fossil. Any help identifying it would be greatly appreciated. I am perplexed as to what it might be.

post-9139-0-56705900-1344641497_thumb.jpg

Hmmmm. Is that really one specimen? Looks like it might be three brachiopods piled up, overlapping each other.

Honestly I do not know. :unsure:

I see what Marley's Ghost is saying. It does look like the first "lobe" on the right has some kind of striations on it, that I do not see on the rest of it.

It might be one or two other things on top of a third item. Strange - Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Hope we find out what it is. :)

Thanks for posting this mystery, Andy.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Some of us local collectors call your specimen a "squish out." Mud fills the body chamber of a gastropod and is later flattened by the compaction of the sediments. The gastropod has been referred to as Loxonema but I think it's now called Paleozygopleura.

Thanks for all of your insight everyone. I wasn't sure if I was looking at a multiple imprint or some form of trace fossil. I'm heading back to New York in a couple of hours to look for pyritized trilobites in the Beecher Formation. When I get back I will post some of my finds (if I have any). I tried to make an album of my finds from Western New York but got a message saying I wasn't allowed to make albums. I have another mystery fossil from the same location (Spring Creek) whcih I will post later.

Try again on the Gallery; I think you have achieved the level of participation set to gain access to that feature.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 2 months later...

Some of us local collectors call your specimen a "squish out." Mud fills the body chamber of a gastropod and is later flattened by the compaction of the sediments. The gastropod has been referred to as Loxonema but I think it's now called Paleozygopleura.

The wavy lines on the figure all the way to the right does look like the base of the Loxonema. I think Jerry is spot on.

Archived