Anyone Up For Lakefield, Ontario This Weekend?

trafficdesign

Any interest in mounting a trip to the Lakefield Oval this weekend? I am going to be in the area and thought I might try my luck and see if I can find any trilobites.

Prob going to try for Sunday morning... but open to anytime if others are interested....

Was reading the Ontario's Ordovician post started by Northern Sharks, May 29 2011 08:04 PM http://www.thefossil...__hl__lakefield and also http://www.thefossil...912#entry234912

.... and it looks promising.

Anyone want to join in?

Good luck if you decide to go. I won't be able to join you, and I'm not sure but you may need permission to collect there. If someone with the skating club is there, that shouldn't be too hard to get.

Welcome to the forum, where are you from?

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Lake Simcoe area, about an hour north of you. I assume that you know that that the actual Lakefield quarry is off limits (sadly). Do you still have any of your finds from there?

Edited by Northern Sharks

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

How long has the Lakefield quarry been off limits? I have a lot of material from there, collected mostly many years ago. However I don't recall that it was posted when I last stopped in only ~3 years ago. Has that changed? There used to be cows grazing in there.

Don

It is private property, a farm, and from what I've heard, the farmer doesn't let anyone in, including the ROM. I have never personally talked to the guy, but several sources have told me that it is pointless to try.

WOW that is really unfortunate. I was hoping to try to get into the Lakefield Quarry. It looks fantastic from the Highway and I was thinking of a little wander; signs notwithstanding.

I wonder why the farmer would not allow access to this culturally/historically significant source? As there are not that many sites around there should be some kind of legislation that permits controlled access.

I'd be interested in finding out his rationale; especially in blocking the ROM!

Unfortunately all my childhood Lakefield fossil finds have disappeared over the ages. :(

ummm, property rights?

Yes, it is unfortunate when a land owner refuses access, but it is his right to do so.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Lakefield quarry was definitely good to me. I have one block of limestone (about 10 cm thick unfortunately) that has a thin film of shale on top with 8-10 complete prone Flexicalymene senaria trilobites showing, and maybe more buried. I've resisted attacking it for over 30 years, until I get the right tools for prepping it (or enough money to pay someone), lest I ruin it. I also have quite a few enrolled Flexicalymene, a few nice complete Cerarus, a Gabricerarus, a couple of Isotelus, and a few others from there, as well as other species represented by heads and tails (Amphilichas, Failliana, etc). I also have a slab with a dozen or so nice edrioasteroids. Other than that, I never found a lot of echinoderms there, but over many visits I did find a partial starfish, two crinoid calyxes (a Pycnocrinus and a Glyptocrinus), and some Edriophus edrioasteroids. Plus an incredible range of brachiopods, bryozoans, snails, and clams. I guess I should treat it all with care, as it seems I won't be able to go back and collect any more.

Don

I went there probably 40 years ago, alas my mother trashed all my fossils from my youth at some point after I moved out.

That's too bad Malcolmt! Same story for my fossils.. though all have been just lost to time (ironically)! See that you are from Mississauga....any cool GTA fossil sites? I have heard about Etobicoke Creek but haven't checked it out. Have you?

Sad to say I have never actually collected a fossil in the GTA. Most locations for me are a minimum 90 minutes to 2 hour drive.