Shellseeker

I have been distracted from fossil hunting for the last 6 weeks. I completed my 3rd year of fossil hunting in the 1st week of July, just as Tropical Storm Debbie was filling up the Peace River. The gauge at Zolfo Springs is at 7.5 feet today which is an improvement over 10.5 feet a week ago. I have been out of Florida, on vacation in Cape Cod and Vermont and then a 3 week job assignment in San Francisco.

I am requesting a couple of identifications, and will attract attention with this Gorgeous 9+ inch Eremotherium Eomigrans claw that was an end of season gift of the river/fossil gods. It has been a magical season for me -- and that is an understatement. I have a good fossil buddy who has endured my fantastic finds with grace and good humor.

Q1. I have searched the internet enough to ID this one as Eomigrans, and eliminate Mirabile (which may have never been in Florida). but Laurillardi seems pretty similar, maybe narrower. Since both were in Florida , how do I differentiate Eomigrans from Laurillardi?

Q2. I also found (photo #2) a small half of a sloth claw south of Nocatee on April 1st. It is proportionally narrower compared to Eomigrans and just based on size, I thought it might be Harlan. Can anyone confirm or even speculate? EDIT: Whenever I post an ID request, I also start searching the Internet: Although I am not positive Glossotherium chapadmalense seems to be a likely candidate by both size and shape for this half claw. , http://www.fossilsonline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_145_184&products_id=957 ,

Q3. In looking at other finds, I came across photo #3, one that I originally thought was Equus. I do not think that anymore. Can anyone ID?

Good to be back. Now only if the rains would stop.....

post-2220-0-52147500-1345302115_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-02640500-1345302534_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-95057100-1345305076_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I would ID the Eremotherium claw as E. laurillardi.

The partial claw core is too thin and flat for Paramylodon (Glossotherium is synonymous, though is no longer used). It is Megalonyx. Paramylodon claws are more round in cross section, whereas Megalonyx claws are flatter.

I would ID the Eremotherium claw as E. laurillardi.

The partial claw core is too thin and flat for Paramylodon (Glossotherium is synonymous, though is no longer used). It is Megalonyx. Paramylodon claws are more round in cross section, whereas Megalonyx claws are flatter.

Thanks PF, I realized as I framed the questions, that only a couple of TFF members, including you and Harry have the knowledge and experiences to provide identifications.

The identifications on the Internet are very confusing when originals/clones of Photo #1 are alternately identified as Eomigrans or Laurillardi, and I have even seen a similar one identified Jeffersonii. Maybe the claws are all very similar or the people selling them are not really fossil experts. SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"