Went To A Gem & Mineral Show This Weekend

mzkleen

I went to a big gem and mineral show this past Saturday in Lebanon, PA that's only a half hour away from me. Saw LOTS of cool minerals from all over the world. I also saw quite a few fossils for sale too. There were a number of stands that had some nice fossils. There were a couple of stands that had fossils that just didn't look real to me. I'm not a real expert, but some just didn't look right. One guy had some fish in a rock plate, and the rock just didn't look right. All his fish fossils were in a light beige rock. They were excellent looking fish, almost too good if you know what I mean. The prices on his fish were very expensive.

Then I saw a guy that had tribs. Lots of tribs. They were all from overseas, mostly Morocco. He had 3 or 4 that were at least a foot and a half long. Some of his fossils didn't quite look right to me. He had quite a variety of really great looking specimens.A lot of them I couldn't even begin to pronounce their official names. :-) And his prices were high.

At the end I came across a guy that had ALL Pennsylvania minerals and fossils. All of his stuff was real. I could tell it was real, and his prices were affordable. His stuff was prepped just enough to tell what it was. He had a little bit of everything too. And it was all found in PA.

I didn't buy any fossils, just a few polished stones that struck my fancy. I prefer to find my own fossils, I don't buy fossils.

I know I've read countless times here on Fossil Forum that you have to watch out for the bogus fossil sellers, and that there are a lot of them out there. I have seen a few of them at this particular show. If something looks too good to be real, it probably isn't.