New App Can Help With Fossil Mapping

TCallens

I just found a new iPhone app I thought people might could make use of. It's called iGeoLog, and it allows you to build cutaways and make notes in just a few minutes. You can also use location services to mark the exact spot the log was built. The app allows you to email and save the logs. Great tool if you ask me.

Here's a very simple example that I just made up to illustrate.....you can change the dimensions and contours to whatever fits your needs.

post-9265-0-84409100-1345600906_thumb.png

Why, when I was young, we had to draw on the back of a shovel with a charred stick! Uphill, both ways! :P

Very cool; thanks!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It just hit me that this should dovetail with other GIS functions...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Why, when I was young, we had to draw on the back of a shovel with a charred stick! Uphill, both ways! :P

Very cool; thanks!

You had a shovel? :blink:

Steve

LOL, I had to use map pencils in my geology classes, totally wish I could have build it on an app and emailed my assignment. My elbow gets worn out when I color too much, lol.

Hmm ... sounds interesting, checking it out now. Thanks for posting!

Auspex, I agree this will mesh well with GIS applications, I sense a kriging analysis in my future very soon.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

What's this world coming too....

post-423-0-36653000-1345758207_thumb.jpg

Awesome, wish i had this when I was doing geological mapping for 20 plus years, but then there was not an iPhone during much of that time... oh well. Great application...