Best Trip Ever?

Guest bmorefossil

Guest bmorefossil

Well ill start. Mine was last weekend when i found 15 megs!!!! I dont know if thats a record but for me its double my old one. I also found some great makos, a croc tooth, a squalodon pre molar and some other great stuff. Thats one heck of a day i would say

My first trip to Gore, VA. In 1970, trilobites were the coolest fossil (practically mythological), and they weren't something one could just go out and find! I read something about a road cut in Gore, and took a day trip to explore. It was a dinky little exposure beside a bypassed road, but I found myself tripping over Phacops Rana trilobites! It was wonderous...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Well ill start. Mine was last weekend when i found 15 megs!!!! I dont know if thats a record but for me its double my old one. I also found some great makos, a croc tooth, a squalodon pre molar and some other great stuff. Thats one heck of a day i would say

I think it was the last spring, when I went to Lee Creek. Although looking back as a kid I did have some great hunt. I remember when I used to find small tigers and I was happy; now I sometimes walk over them, leaving them for someone who will enjoy them more than I.

Last session was a great trip because I found a 4 1/4 inch Meg, lots of little teeth, a bird ulna and a whale tooth. But, I really had fun because I spent it with people that I love. That's what made it ever a better trip.

That and some guys from Holland went in the Staurday before me and came out with little megs. I saw the in the museum down there on Sunday and they asked what I found. Came back and showed them the 4 1/4 and he was like "you B@&!#%D" :D Accent and all. Poor guy came all the way across the ocean and here some American Yankie gets their tooth :P

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Guest bmorefossil
My first trip to Gore, VA. In 1970, trilobites were the coolest fossil (practically mythological), and they weren't something one could just go out and find! I read something about a road cut in Gore, and took a day trip to explore. It was a dinky little exposure beside a bypassed road, but I found myself tripping over Phacops Rana trilobites! It was wonderous...

wow thats awsome, did it look like anyone had ever been there?

Guest bmorefossil
I think it was the last spring, when I went to Lee Creek. Although looking back as a kid I did have some great hunt. I remember when I used to find small tigers and I was happy; now I sometimes walk over them, leaving them for someone who will enjoy them more than I.

Last session was a great trip because I found a 4 1/4 inch Meg, lots of little teeth, a bird ulna and a whale tooth. But, I really had fun because I spent it with people that I love. That's what made it ever a better trip.

That and some guys from Holland went in the Staurday before me and came out with little megs. I saw the in the museum down there on Sunday and they asked what I found. Came back and showed them the 4 1/4 and he was like "you B@&!#%D" :D Accent and all. Poor guy came all the way across the ocean and here some American Yankie gets their tooth :P

hahahah very nice, where is the 4 1/4 inch meg have we ever seen it?

hahahah very nice, where is the 4 1/4 inch meg have we ever seen it?

Profile Pic :D See, right there <------- :P

Guest bmorefossil
Profile Pic :D See, right there <------- :P

oh very nice i just always thought that was from maryland! very nice tooth

Here you go, a better picture

DSC00961.jpg

You can see what part was sticking out because of the color change at the end of the tooth. The sun bleached it out.

wow thats awsome, did it look like anyone had ever been there?

The site was known, because I had read about it in an obscure little book on VA fossil sites.

I just got off the phone with Gary (you met him on the Forum Calvert trip); I called him out of nostalgia, and we're going to revisit Gore one day in the next couple weeks to see if it's still accessable. I'll post pics and a report on what's there now and how is has changed from what I remember.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

oh yea baby!!! thats a nice one, it looks more clear now that its from lee creek very nice tooth!

Thanks! I saw that little point sticking out and kept clearing the dirt slowly for the sides of it. I was yelling at my girlfriend to come look at it before I dug it out of the ground. I wanted her to see it in it's natural habit. Then when I did get it out I was relieved that it was all there. One of the guides asked me if I took a picture of it before I got it out, I said " I was to excited to wait for it." :D and I didn't have the camera :rolleyes:

Guest bmorefossil
The site was known, because I had read about it in an obscure little book on VA fossil sites.

I just got off the phone with Gary (you met him on the Forum Calvert trip); I called him out of nostalgia, and we're going to revisit Gore one day in the next couple weeks to see if it's still accessable. I'll post pics and a report on what's there now and how is has changed from what I remember.

ok cool!!! tell gary to get on the forum!!!

Guest bmorefossil
Thanks! I saw that little point sticking out and kept clearing the dirt slowly for the sides of it. I was yelling at my girlfriend to come look at it before I dug it out of the ground. I wanted her to see it in it's natural habit. Then when I did get it out I was relieved that it was all there. One of the guides asked me if I took a picture of it before I got it out, I said " I was to excited to wait for it." :D and I didn't have the camera :rolleyes:

well i do that for somethings like my largest meg, i moved the block out of the way and saw the meg sitting there in the matrix!!!! dug a little off and waited for a camera to come, took some pictures and then put it in my hand! i love that tooth

Yeah, I was too excited to wait :D Bad impluse control :D I have tracer's frontal lobe A-trophy :rolleyes:

It may sound corny or cliche, but every trip is special to me. Even the exploratory dud trips have value as crossing them off my hit list is in itself a worthwhile accomplishment. I just don't like dud trips too often! A walk through paleo land gives me time to figure out life or forget about it entirely, or some combination thereof. While all trips are good for the soul as reconnecting with nature for me serves as sort of an elixir, some stand out in my memory for various reasons.

Several good days sort of stand out in my mind, and the most memorable ones tend to involve finding a virgin site and/or finding the first good example of something new to my collection. My first Dakoticancer crab had me dancing a jig, perhaps more so than the day after a flood when I found 22 crabs there along with 228 echinoids. 10 inches of rain can work wonders. The first time I stepped into a creek bed absolutely loaded with ammonites was spectacular. I have few enough artifacts that every intact one is special. Days that I find 2 points are phenomenal in my opinion.

Other days that stand out include finding first examples of uncommon echinoids such as Echinocorys texanus, Codiopsis stephensoni, and a few other undescribed species. Then there was the day with 70 Archaeocidaris echinoids, which for the unfamiliar are cool, flattened Pennsylvanian echinoids with articulated spines. My first full diameter mammoth tusk section and 5 gallon bucket size mammoth vert gave me quite a buzz as well. Then there was that little Permian reptile skull which was donated for description of a new species. Stumbling into a nest of a dozen crinoid crowns warmed my heart on a frosty Cincinnati morning too a couple years ago. Finding 14 Flexicalamene trilobites in an hour was my kind of paydirt, but then hunting with Brock and slamming 185 Cambrian bugs in 5 hours added a new dimension to trilobite hunting. I'll never forget stumbling across a native American woman's skull or my first sloth claw either.

To sum it up, my most memorable days consist of a) virgin sites, B) new species for my son's, my friends', or my own collection, and c) some ridiculous mix of quality and quantity. "Fossil hunting is like a box of chocolates...you never know what yur gonna git." I've been at it hard for 5 years and still am surprised and amazed at what turns up sometimes. I hope I never run out of new and better things to find, and I hope my boy, my buddies and I all continue to encourage each other in our pursuit of museum grade finds.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Guest bmorefossil

corny! no im just kidding im the same way. As for your trips finding all them crabs and echs is just crazy!!!! The american woman's skull is just jaw droping and sloth claws are the best!!!! Very nice!!!

...I hope I never run out of ...things to find...

A real nail-on-the-head, what-it's-all-about moment :)

...There is poignancy in all my adventures, because even if I return at some point to a place I'm visiting, the time and the circumstances cannot be recaptured...

So true, T-Man, there can be only one first time. If you are fully involved in that moment, the memory will be rich and full of nuance that cannot be repeated, save in precious memory.

Guest bmorefossil

well the first trip i went to the cliffs i found about 15 teeth and none over 1/2", I thought they were the greatest things in the world!!!

well the first trip i went to the cliffs i found about 15 teeth and none over 1/2", I thought they were the greatest things in the world!!!

Well, today at Plum Point was a pretty good trip. I didn't beat your 15 megs but it was a nice day to walk. I did find about 3 dozen pectin shells, both sides.

When wew go out hunting I always bring back some type of dino fossil even if it's just a champs vert

Any outing is a good day when you come back in one pice and down a beer with good friends.

Private lake! They put rocks on some shoreline for people to fish, swim and picnic! Late Fall time, I went there and break some rocks. I found many clams, several striaght shelled cepholopods and snail shaped fossils!

Always check on rocks in any private that you can go in, public, roads, park and dams......got a nice piece of 10 inch long and 3 inch diameter cepholopod from public park dam! You never know what you find!

It's hard to say, so many trips where I have come back happy throughout my life that may not even remember many of those. Many times I returned home happy with something that really wasn't anything special, but them make you remember that moment and that place in the future.

One of the best excursions so to speak, was once as a child.

I went with my parents and some friends to spend the day in the field with picnic included. The place is tucked away in a diapire in that area and crop jurassic materials (rhynchonellas, terebrátulas, some ammonites and occasional fragments of belemnite) in limestone materials.

Sometimes in an area of the creek, cut the slate strata had left some complete Belemnite and partially pyritized.

That day can not remember why (maybe because of the momentum child), jumped to the top of the mountain, leaving the original site down the slope and tracked with a layer of slates with completely pyritized belemnites of the same type as those that occasionally found in the river .

The site was successful for a few years but my lack of experience did that more people knew the site.

Good levels today, require remove more than one meter in height and a pair of ground limestone levels in between.

But I was lucky to be able to collect some nice specimens.

And I think it might have served me as a lesson in the life. You learn from your mistakes. :rolleyes:

P.S. Sorry my bad english.

Greetings