Cyclocystoid Or Crinoid Stem Section? Late Ordovician.

pleecan

Wished I could have joined you today but could not fit it in, in retrospect though I suspect it was a hot one at the quarry.

Wished I could have joined you today but could not fit it in, in retrospect though I suspect it was a hot one at the quarry.

Hey Malcolm: I was the only crazy person in the quarry.... air temp was 34C outside the quarry.... the rocks in the quarry must have been 40C but there was a breeze ... hot it was but tolerable... .. found also a bunch of weather edrioasteroids... only brought one home... a partial.

I agree that it's a crinoid columnal.

However, this mention of cyclocystoids has brought up a very interesting topic in my searching. It's interesting how there seems to be some disagreement on exactly where to place them. Fascinating!

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

I agree that it's a crinoid columnal.

However, this mention of cyclocystoids has brought up a very interesting topic in my searching. It's interesting how there seems to be some disagreement on exactly where to place them. Fascinating!

Echinoids are my favorite critters BECAUSE they are so hard to understand. Our paleo society here in Austin has the pleasure of including Prof. James Sprinkle as a member and science advisor. He specializes in echinoids and is always telling us about some new ideas or re-ordering of the taxonomy.

Finding a Cyclocystoid is on my "list".

On my list of things to do on a rainy day is to go through under the scope boxes of hash plate material from the site Peter was at, looking for edrioasteroids and cyclocystoids, I say a cyclocystoid a member on the forum found there in person the other day and realized that it would be very easy to miss if someone did not point it out to you.