Common Cretaceous Bivalves?

JohnJ

A few years ago, my wife and I pulled our canoe up on a small, Cretaceous gravel bar to eat a snack. As she sat with her feet over the gunnel, I glanced down in the water beside them at a small, algae covered clam. When I picked it up to show her, it seemed oddly heavy. We were both surprised to see that it was a fossil clam!

Since then, I've found another whole one and a few more partials. I think they might be some species of Crassatella, but these specimens are camouflaging another secret.

post-420-1223147907_thumb.jpg

post-420-1223147891_thumb.jpg

post-420-1223148058_thumb.jpg

post-420-1223148082_thumb.jpg

post-420-1223148093_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Since then, I've found another whole one and a few more partials. I think they might be some species of Crassatella, but these specimens are camouflaging another secret.

I am curious..what secret?

Welcome to the forum!

Show 'em Johnny! Show 'em! Then show 'em my favorite.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

In what material are them fossilized?.

At first glance seem agate, opal or some type of silica mineralized. Although it can also be calcite that would be more common.

Greetings

It revealed the secret to me in the sun. Later, when I cleaned away all the algae, I used a laser pen to illuminate the full beauty. They are probably formed of chalcedony...

post-420-1223177623_thumb.jpg

post-420-1223177670_thumb.jpg

post-420-1223177705_thumb.jpg

(sorry the autofocus doesn't love the laser)

Not too long ago, my wife found our best example of this type mineral replacement, a jewel of a nautiloid!

post-420-1223177152_thumb.jpg

post-420-1223177173_thumb.jpg

post-420-1223177241_thumb.jpg

post-420-1223177762_thumb.jpg

post-420-1223177807_thumb.jpg

(of course this is Dan's favorite)

Just a few common jewels that we enjoy.

NEAT O! :shades:

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Very nice specimens, the nautilus is a jewel. Perhaps luminescence occurs when exposed to ultraviolet light, some types of opal react, emitting a greenish tone.

The truth is that some shark teeth fosfatized react to the ultraviolet lamp so exaggerated, is a phenomenon that I have seen in specimens from Lee Creek, Chile and Portugal.

Chilean ones remain lit few moments when you turn off the lamp, is a curious phenomenon and the first time I saw it I thought it was very spectacular. But we must be careful not to look in the light of the lamp (only to illuminate the goal) might occur if the exposure is prolonged eye injuries.

The downside is that it is difficult to photograph, because it dominates the tone purple and eats the tone of the luminescence emitted by the specimen.

Greetings.

A double treat... Those are really beautiful.

I take it chalcedony must be really heavy then.

Welcome to the forum!

Guest bmorefossil
Very nice specimens, the nautilus is a jewel. Perhaps luminescence occurs when exposed to ultraviolet light, some types of opal react, emitting a greenish tone.

The truth is that some shark teeth fosfatized react to the ultraviolet lamp so exaggerated, is a phenomenon that I have seen in specimens from Lee Creek, Chile and Portugal.

Chilean ones remain lit few moments when you turn off the lamp, is a curious phenomenon and the first time I saw it I thought it was very spectacular. But we must be careful not to look in the light of the lamp (only to illuminate the goal) might occur if the exposure is prolonged eye injuries.

The downside is that it is difficult to photograph, because it dominates the tone purple and eats the tone of the luminescence emitted by the specimen.

Greetings.

your kidding me!!! have you ever tried teeth from maryland? Where can i get myself an ultraviolet lamp?

...then i could have a meg night light

To me, this is a defining statement of what it's like to be bmorefossil ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I couldn't even try it with teeth of Maryland, I don't have any of that state in the collection. But I suppose that those that are very clear tone likely to react favorably to the lamp.

As to where to get it, I have difficulty in knowing what kind of establishments are sold in U.S.A., here I could buy in a supermarket one and other in a lamps shop. Often used in shops to verify the authenticity of the paper money (The mark comes with a few segments of paint that reacts to light).

Bmore,

I bought a small hand held one online several years ago. My big plan was to use it at night

at the Ouachita River when I lived in AR. Never did hunt there in the dark.

Anyway, this is the kind I bought

Handheld Blacklight

Welcome to the forum!

A double treat... Those are really beautiful.

I take it chalcedony must be really heavy then.

Roz,

Like Tracer alluded to, chalcedony isn't heavy per se. If you picked up a bottle cap and it was as heavy as a marble, you'd be surprised. I was expecting a "light" live clam and it wasn't that light. I'm glad it wasn't live. :D