Another Nsr Mystery

jwcounts

I always keep the little fossil scraps from the North Sulfur River (Cretaceous) and examine them closer at home. This one had an interesting texture with lots of detail. It looks almost like scales. But looking at the back (the browner, fibrous looking picture) it looks more like plant material. I thought the pattern might be distinctive and someone might recognize it. Scale bar in the photo is in millimeters. Any ideas? I'm pretty sure it is not manmade. It has the characteristics and feel of all the other fossil bits out there.

post-4993-0-98053100-1346088006_thumb.jpg

post-4993-0-39176800-1346088017_thumb.jpg

post-4993-0-79460100-1346088029_thumb.jpg

post-4993-0-54833900-1346088041_thumb.jpg

reptile (or other) skin/dermal plating?

I did a quick google images search on "texas cretaceous reptile skin fossils" and came up with this...

wl-re43a.jpg

and this...

http://sciencythough...te-miocene.html

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

Boy howdy, that looks like what I think osteoderms should look like...no idea for what critter to suggest, though.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Really? Wow. All the elasmobranch cartilage I have seen has displayed a "rod-like" structure.

This is an awesome piece!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ya....after I saw that post, I looked it up, and it sure looks like a good match.

Nice work Al Dente.

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

Hi,

Could be a selachian skin. Each species (recent) has its own sort of dermal denticle.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Here are a couple of examples of ray cartilage. The first one is a piece of the rostrum of the Eocene sawfish Pristis lathami:

post-2301-0-69646900-1346445132_thumb.jpg

Here are a group of vertebrae including some cartilage from a recent clearnose skate Raja eglanteria:

post-2301-0-79443800-1346445285_thumb.jpg