Help! - How To Whitening Fossils With Ammonium Chloride

Sylvestersen

Hi

Does anyone have any practical experience of how to whitening fossils with ammonium chloride.

The technique I wish to lear more about is the one where the fossilis is covered with chloride smoke. This coating should eliminates reflections, translucency and color variations, and easily removed by simply blowing on it.

Here you go: LINK

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nando,

The Ammonium Chloride coating is hygroscopic, meaning it will take moisture out of the air to dissolve. A trick you could use to make it "permanent" is keep the coated specimen in a sealed dry atmosphere with some other substance that more aggressively grabs moisture. Not very practical, but it's a trick that would work.

Thanks fossilcrazy... a part to stay in a dry desert with a dehumidifier ON, I don't see other solutions :(:wacko::blink: any suggestion?

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

I see this whitening process is easily reversible. Is there any trick to make this process permanent? I was totally hooked by the white color of the Synarmocrinus cobbani crinoid in the pdf :)

Thanks

I think the beautu of this process is that it is easy to remove. to make it permanent? way not use spraypaint