Sigillaria Point

RomanK

Very good pictures (as usual for you). You have so much fossil material near you; it must be great fun to nose around!

The preservation of the fossils there is superior, too.

You have led me to a geography lesson; I looked up the location of Donetsk (Ukraine), and learned that the city was founded as a steel mill because of the abundant coal deposits.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very good pictures (as usual for you). You have so much fossil material near you; it must be great fun to nose around!

The preservation of the fossils there is superior, too.

You have led me to a geography lesson; I looked up the location of Donetsk (Ukraine), and learned that the city was founded as a steel mill because of the abundant coal deposits.

Thank you, Auspex, for positive and warm assessment to my pics (as usual for you).

It's someway funny but Donetsk city was founded by welsh person John Hughes in 1869. :D He has built the first met mill here and it's still operated (obviously has been reconstructed and modified). My last specs just from the spoil placed next to that mill. Yes, you are right, mills in Donbass appeared just because we have a lot of high rank coal including an antracit. Now owners start to move toward electrical method of steel making.

Guest Nicholas

Great fossils, I have 200 pounds of sigillaria bark and stone wood. Mines carbonized though so it is nice to see the different preservation.

Guest solius symbiosus

That one of the outer bark is really nice.

Great fossils, I have 200 pounds of sigillaria bark and stone wood. Mines carbonized though so it is nice to see the different preservation.

^^I have a Lepidodendron sp. that the original material "coalified" into a 1/8th in. layer over the cast of the imprints. I probably have 20 hours chipping the stuff off the surface.

Guest Nicholas
^^I have a Lepidodendron sp. that the original material "coalified" into a 1/8th in. layer over the cast of the imprints. I probably have 20 hours chipping the stuff off the surface.

Been there, I have a very nice Calamite, it has 6 sections, it is a small piece but defined very well. I have 7 hours invested so far on it.

Guest bmorefossil
Been there, I have a very nice Calamite, it has 6 sections, it is a small piece but defined very well. I have 7 hours invested so far on it.

nice nick