John Hamilton

Fossil Sites Near Fairfax Station, Va

John Hamilton

I'm going to be in Fairfax Station, VA over the Labor Day weekend with my wife and kids and was wondering if there were any fossil sites closer than Calvert Cliffs, Brownies Beach, etc... Any info would be appreciated.

Auspex

The closest I know is Westmoreland State Park, which has a limited hunting area.

LINK

John Hamilton

The closest I know is Westmoreland State Park, which has a limited hunting area.

LINK

Thanks Auspex! Even with a limited hunting area it still provides a fossil opportunity.

Auspex

The park is very family-friendly, and the trip (there, or back) will take you through Fredericksburg, home of Carl's Ice Cream; set a little time aside for Carls! LINK

powelli1

Hi John I don't know of any sites close to Fairfax Station but like Auspex said Westmoreland State park can be good and it is about 2 hours south east of there off of Rt 3 east. I lived in Falls Church witch is only a few miles from Fairfax Station. But when you get back are before you go up you can come by my home here in Greenville and see some of the very nice fossils I have found at Westmoreland State Park over the years. E-mail mail me for more info. Good Luck George

John Hamilton

Hi John I don't know of any sites close to Fairfax Station but like Auspex said Westmoreland State park can be good and it is about 2 hours south east of there off of Rt 3 east. I lived in Falls Church witch is only a few miles from Fairfax Station. But when you get back are before you go up you can come by my home here in Greenville and see some of the very nice fossils I have found at Westmoreland State Park over the years. E-mail mail me for more info. Good Luck George

Thanks George! I might take you up on that offer when I get back.

obsessed1

Have you thought about Purse State Park? It's an age material you probably don't get to hunt in NC and is closer than the Calvert Cliffs area.

John Hamilton

Have you thought about Purse State Park? It's an age material you probably don't get to hunt in NC and is closer than the Calvert Cliffs area.

Yes. I didn't realize it but It is actually closer than Westmoreland State Park too.

dshields0111

Yep go to Purse Park for Paleocene fossils. The fossils there are more abundant than Westmoreland park, but you have to go during low tide, if not the beach is mostly under water. This would be a good time of the year to go to Purse during low tide.