Making Lemonade When Life Hands You Lemons

Uncle Siphuncle

I'm flying to FL for Grandpa Woehr's funeral this week, but plan to show up a day early to hunt fossils. I'll even be sleeping in the rental car one night. Should feel just like one of my Texas trips. I'm even renting a car that I'm sure will let me stretch out my lanky frame. I just hope the FL Fuzz doesn't see it fit to shine lights in my eyes at 3 a.m. like those nosey TX cops. Grandpa was an outdoorsman with a frugal nature, so surely he'd understand and approve my side trip. I just can't see spending the money to fly all the way over there, rent a car, then NOT hunt fossils. Family will have my undivided attention on Thursday.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Guest Nicholas

Sorry for the loss, and you are absolutely right. There is no reason you shouldn't take the opportunity, good reflection time.

Yes, Dan, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your grandfather. Even when they lived long lives and were happy, it's hard to lose them.

And...I'd do the same thing. Any time I'd have a chance to visit a different type of rock than I'm used to, I wouldn't be able to resist fossil hunting.

Sorry for your loss Dan. I hope you find an incredible specimen while you are out collecting! One so fine fine that it will be associated with the great memories of your Grandpaw!

B

Thanks guys. He was 90 and saw it coming. He was ready as was the rest of the family.

Grüße,

I'm so sorry for your loss, but speaking as a grandfather I'm sure your grandfather would approve. I know I would.

Mike

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Guest bmorefossil
Thanks guys. He was 90 and saw it coming. He was ready as was the rest of the family.

well i think we all hope you find somethinig nice in honor of him

...Grandpa was an outdoorsman...

He'll be pleased.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I see no problem using a funeral trip as a fossil trip also. Whenever my beloved grandmother is laid to rest in Oklahoma I certainly intend to get some fossil mileage out of it.

Sorry for your loss. We made the final trip to see my 95 year old Granny early last year while she was still with us. We knew she wasn't going to last much longer. She even came out of her fog to talk to us. It was good. Preferred to do that instead of the funeral. Also used the trip for hunting opportunities. As an outdoorsman, he will be with you in spirit.

Sorry for your loss. Doing something you truly love and have a passion for is living life to its fullest. Living fully is to me one of the best ways to respect and cherish what we've learned from those who have influenced our lives and gone before us.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

Auriculatus - Grandpa lived in Eustis, sort of between Orlando and Ocala.

All - Thanks again!

I took a solo fossil trip yesterday and spent part of the time working out some bullet points in my mind for speaking at Grandpa's funeral. As a consummate outdoorsman he would have loved experiencing yesterday afield with me. I caught a whitetail buck and doe flat footed and got a really good close range look at them. Then while walking up a creek I jumped 3 hogs out of their wallow at a distance of about 10 yards. I love that kind of thrill. The finds for the most part were pretty average, up until about dark. Then I found the mammoth tusk shown in another thread. I'll always associate this specimen with Grandpa, all 50 LBS of it! This thing is a tree! It weighs more than my kid! Now we'll see what the Sunshine State is willing to cough up. I've received site guidance from a couple good buddies so I should fare well.

Grüße,