MinnMike

Minnesota

MinnMike

Does anyone know where I can find what types of fossils can be found in the Southeast Minnesota area? I have found maps for rock formations around here but I would like to know what type to keep my eye out for. I expect to find marine life but I was wondering if I can look forwward to (hopefully) find. Thanks, Mike

Harry Pristis
Does anyone know where I can find what types of fossils can be found in the Southeast Minnesota area? I have found maps for rock formations around here but I would like to know what type to keep my eye out for. I expect to find marine life but I was wondering if I can look forwward to (hopefully) find. Thanks, Mike

Sorry, Mike, there are NO FOSSILS in Minnesota. You have to go to Wisconsin for Fossils.

Just kidding. You can find Cambrian and Ordovician and Silurian marine fossils in quarries, RR cuts, and bluffs. Any reference book or field guide will be useful in identifying most of these fossils. Contact the state geological survey for publications about fossils. Good hunting!

-----Harry Pristis

ebrocklds

mike,

i found some marine fossils, mainly shells and partail trilobites in road cuts in rochester. i just looked for the hills and then drove to them. anywhere that i saw layered rocks i stopped and looked around. i only spent a few minutes and found a few ok pieces. i am sure with dedication some very nice fossils will be found.

brock

Bev

I am willing to help anyone interested in fossils in SE Minnesota. Note topic on SE MN. Bev :)

jualhadun87

I have had pretty good luck hunting in Lilydale park. Permits for fossil collection there are cheap, its easily accessible and there is some decent state provided docmentation on fossil collecting at the park. I am picking up a permit for this summer that is good for 20 people I think.

squalicorax

I hope to get into Lilydale park some time this summer!

Bev

Please check with Lillydale. That is where two children on a school trip died this year when a trail collapsed on them. I'm sure it will reopen, but when... But there are so many roadcuts from Stillwater on down that are fossilized and safe!