Gmr And Tar Water Quality

Jyonts12

I was talking with people today and we started talking about the Tar river and GMR. They were advising me to stay out of the Tar and GMR due to such a poor water quality. Is this true? If so does anyone know where I can find more information?

whats so bad about them?

gmr has alot of trash in it but the tar river seem to be clear for the most part

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

They were saying that the water is so bad you can get some pretty nasty diseases. I told them I had no clue what they were talking about. I thought I check into it.

It is wise to just keep some hand sanitizer with you and wear the proper protective gear. All rivers associated with storm water runoff have some level of bacteria and personal saftey is up to you as a collector. I've been in GMR and had some minor cuts on my hands from shredded screen wire, kept right on diggin' n siftin' and cleaned up good after the sharks were in my bag.

I have heard GMR called Hepatitis Creek, but i dont know anybody who has had it.

Fossil Foilist
-----)----------------------

It is wise to just keep some hand sanitizer with you and wear the proper protective gear. All rivers associated with storm water runoff have some level of bacteria and personal saftey is up to you as a collector. I've been in GMR and had some minor cuts on my hands from shredded screen wire, kept right on diggin' n siftin' and cleaned up good after the sharks were in my bag.

I myslef have had some major cuts in gmr during summer when im wearing shorts and flip flops in the creek, i cut my fooot right open on some glass, ive cut my hands up on glass and my pointy screen. Ive never gotten sick.

When i snorkel on the tar i swallow a ton of water and ive never gotten sick. It cant be that bad!

Edited by zachj

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

The glass and the minor cuts are not as big of a deal as a snake bite. You may want to rethink flip flops at GMR. I wear thick rubber boots hip high, or knee high if the water is low.

At summer low-flow and summer water temps, there are any number of organisms that can flourish; some can make you pretty sick. At the very least, common sense dictates that you don't go in with open wounds, and you wash thoroughly as soon as possible after contact.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's what I was thinking. I don't know why they are saying "Don't get in the water! It's terrible!"

They were saying that just getting in the water you will get a terrible disease or something.

Edited by Jyonts12

To each his own risk management. "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are for". :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

They were advising me to stay out of the Tar and GMR due to such a poor water quality.

Were they other collectors??

Just kidding of course

The glass and the minor cuts are not as big of a deal as a snake bite. You may want to rethink flip flops at GMR. I wear thick rubber boots hip high, or knee high if the water is low.

I should stop using flip flops and going barefoot in GMR...

: )

Several deaths a year occur from this organism. This year a young boy swimming in a lake near Summerville SC died from this parasite.

http://www.cdc.gov/p...ites/naegleria/

Found in fresh water.

In saltwater there is a whole range of bacteria to worry about it you want. Vibrio species and Mycobacterium Marinum.

I make my living working in a clinical microbiology lab. This does not stop me from messing aroung in GMR. Would strongly recommend getting a tetnus shot and not drinking out of the creek there though.

Edited by kirk

Also if you get some nasty cuts you may need to get a tetanus shot. I believe every 7 years if you have not had one and get a cut from some old rusty metal... I to recomend wearing proper footwear in both.. Also as Chas said take a good long hot shower after you get home... But as Zach said IO have gotten cut on screens not the glass and am living to tell about it... Just use caution when in any water environment never know whats in there. As for snakes I have never ever seen one there but I know they are there somewhere...Jeff

Several deaths a year occur from this organism. This year a young boy swimming in a lake near Summerville SC died from this parasite.

http://www.cdc.gov/p...ites/naegleria/

Found in fresh water.

In saltwater there is a whole range of bacteria to worrry about it you want. Vibrio species and Mcobacterium Marinum.

I make my living working in a clinical microbiology lab. This does not stop me from messing aroung in GMR. Would strongly recommend getting a tetnus shot and not drinking out of the creek there though.

I would not recomend drinking from any water source on purpose... and you beat me to the Tetanus shot....Jeff

That bacteria thing scares me.... :wacko:

Wading and sifting should be ok, probably more chance of being struck by lightning or winning the lottery than getting sick from fossiling. Of course do not go in with a gaping hole in your foot or leg. Probably only Alaska is exempt from dirty water and may be even there in cities...Not sure about rest of the worlds water supplies....Jeff

Better yet by a pair of chest waders and you can go into GMR anytime. When I had mine I wore them year round....Cannot wait to get them back may be next year...:) Not sure if they would be usable in the Tar or any river for that matter..

Edited by Tarheel59

All very good advice for any creek, stream, or river environments. Though snake bites are like the lightening & lottery thing, they are still elusive, nasty and aggressive when you stir up their world and I have had a few close calls with water moccasins, so it is better to be prepared rather than caught off gaurd in the middle of nowhere NC. with a deadly snake bite.

People need to realize there are disease causing organisms everywhere. That's why you have an immune system. GMR is a dirty place for sure, but I've spent hundreds of hours in there with no issues. I just wear kayak shoes. Not worried about snakebite as someone suggested. I've only seen one snake and it was a harmless species. The Tar is a pretty nice river in many places. You will not become sick by fossiling in these places. I snorkle the tar and hunt often in GMR.

Not worried about snakebite as someone suggested. I've only seen one snake and it was a harmless species.

What venomous snake species are in GMR? When I went with Zach his my and my brother saw a watersnake and I think she said it was venomous, I didnt see it though. Also my Mom and his Mom were talking and they saw a 3ft rat snake go right in front of them by the path.

Edited by Survivor

What venomous snake species are in GMR? When I went with Zach his my and my brother saw a watersnake and I think she said it was venomous, I didnt see it though. Also my Mom and his Mom were talking and they saw a 3ft rat snake go right in front of them by the path.

Water moccasin (aka cottonmouth) and copperheads can be found in the eastern US along waterways, Copperheads usually in brushy areas or even in your back yards. Water moccasins are the ones usually found in water. But I have never seen one there. That does not mean they are not but you should always treat every snake as a danger unless you are familar with them.

Snakes (any kind) can give a nasty bite so do not handle them unless you are a seasoned handler. DO NOT kill them either people seem to think that only good snake is a dead one.. The non-venomous snakes tend to keep away the bad ones and also keep the mice (small rodent population down hence no food for the bad ones they will move on too.

It is hard to say if someone saw a water moccasin in GMR they are so many species of snakes that will use waterways to move about as all snakes can swim. Most people cannot tell a Cottonmouth from a distance, its in the shape of the head and the white within the mouth area that tell you what they are.

Many people mis ID a common snake in the water as a water moccasin just thinking that its in the water and its a water moccasin...

Snakes also do not want to be around us humans for the most part they will go the other way. They will however protect themselves and bite you if you are trying to corner them, so leave them their space... If you see a snake in the water get out and let it go on its way, If on land make a wide path around said snake and probably will be ok. I use my shovel to walk through high brush banging it on the ground. I have also been in the thick underbrush trying to make my way to spots in GMR and never seen anything so maybe I am just lucky, who knows....Jeff

Edited by Tarheel59

The typical banded water snake is harmless, but looks like a water moccasin. You may never encounter a snake, but again what if you do? They are in GMR because their food is in GMR. Coliform bacteria is in our bodies already, just not at the toxic level and they do serve a purpose for us and all living things.

Thanks Jeff. I have love snakes and reptiles in general since i was 2, i would never kill one. I know that you can really only tell a water moc by its head shape(almost all venomous snakes have triangle heads) and the mouth color. I never go near snakes if i am not sure what type it is or if i dont know at all. I used to and still catch garter snakes snakes in my local parks. Snakes and a lot of predators all keep the rodents/bugs pop down which is necessary in any ecosystem.

Thanks Jeff. I have love snakes and reptiles in general since i was 2, i would never kill one. I know that you can really only tell a water moc by its head shape(almost all venomous snakes have triangle heads) and the mouth color. I never go near snakes if i am not sure what type it is or if i dont know at all. I used to and still catch garter snakes snakes in my local parks. Snakes and a lot of predators all keep the rodents/bugs pop down which is necessary in any ecosystem.

Thats good to know that you are aware of their purpose. You may not be surprised and the number of grown men I know that readily kill a harmless black snake just cause its on their property... It saddens me that people would kill something so benificial to our planet its about the same concept of people killing sharks... Jeff