Segmented Worm?

Bev

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately, the photo won't load into the attachment section. However, I can email it to individuals :) They look to me like segmented worms (they because their are 3 that are all slightly different)? About a 6 inch long ladder? No heads or tails on any of them--that I can distinguish. And there is nothing raised or lower, just blackish ladder marks on the limestone.

I recently had a fossilized stone deck installed. SE Minnesota, Fillmore County, is where the rock is from and where I live. Limestone. I beieve we are looking at the Lower Cretaceous period. Other fossils identified in these rocks are: Sunflower Sponge, Trilobites, and lots of fairly large (like 3-5 inches across) snails (flatter shelled versions of Ammonites perhaps Protetragonites quadrisulcatum.

Southeast Minnesota's limestone quarries are a hotbed for fossils. There are probably a lot more fossils in this deck than I can identify :) Does anyone know of a fossil book for SE MN?

Thanks for any help.

Bev

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

I probably cant ID anything for you because i have never really collected anything other than sharks teeth. But if they are worms that would be a great find. i hope you get them ID'd and also that you get5 the pics up. :)

Edited by Survivor

: )

Guide to fossil Collecting in Minnesota a free PDF document online. ;)

As I stated in your last post, I do not believe the strata you are collecting from is of Cretaceous age. More likely in the Paleozoic - Ordovician or Devonian. :)

Which is cooler to me, as it is older than dinosaurs.

Read the PDF. It is very informative.

Trilobites died out before the Cretaceous, so that kind of makes the point.

If you're finding trilobites - it's not Cretaceous aged strata.

Also probably not a worm, as soft body preservation, (while it does exist, and there are worm fossils), is exceedingly rare.

I am betting your find is a piece of a crinoid stem, or an orthocone cephalopod. Possibly in cross-section.

Without pictures, however these are merely guesses.

I hope this helps. :)

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks Survivor... I will check back and hopefully someone will know something :) I have never found a shark's tooth! Kudos to you!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Bev,

Found this Bedrock Geologic map of your area online - Looks like mostly Ordovician in your area, with some Devonian to the west.

You may be able to narrow down the formation and part of the Ordovician you are actually in with this. :)

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Fillmore County is all Ordovician and contains the Platteville limeston, Decorah Shale, Galena limestone and Maquoketa limestone. All of these formations are full of fossils. The quarry the rock came from is likely in the Platteville or Galena formation.

Feel free to email me the photo at: trilobiteruss@me.com. Suspect a crinoid stem or cephalopod as mentioned given the Ordovician in the area.

russ

Send me the pix also please @ herb40291 at bellsouth.net.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Bev,

The Guide to Minnesota Fossils is good for a beginning collector, there are a couple errors in it to be aware of:

Brachiopods Rafinesquina and Strophomena seem to have their pictures switched, R. is much larger than S.

Atrypa is Silurian to Devonian.

In the gastropods the size scales are off. Except for Loxonema which is pictured actual size, the others are about 2X actual size not 1/2 X.

Please post more of your finds and welcome to the Forum from KY.

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

I forgot, you may want to check The Geology of Minnesota, Vol. 3 of the Final Report, Part 2. Part 1 is also useful in Id-ing fossils from Minnesota, especially the Ordovician ones.

Nice old texts, I love the old fossil plates. There's one out there for Fossils of Ohio and Kentucky Fossils I think I found them at www.the Gutenburg Project (free old texts downloads) or the Ohio Geological Survey and KPS texts.

Thanks so much guys! You will be getting photos shortly!

I hate to say this, but the more I read and the more pictures I look at, the more confused I've become! Perhaps these aren't trilobites...

But I just found another one of the "worms", I think that makes 4 now :) and given that they are "squiggley" you are probably right about crinoid stems.

I have been hunting fossils with a broom! Tons of fun! There are so many that I am rather overwhelmed!

Bev :)

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Bev,

The sunflower coral looks like a "Receptaculites sp" a kind of sponge/algae not known for sure. The one piece looks like a part os a trilobite. The long segmented things look like crinoid stems. The Ordovician period was roughly 440 -505 MYA.

Hi Guys!

Russ and Herb have my pics. So if they will upload them for you to view, that would be great! I am still trying to figure out how to reduce my pics to upload myself. I'm on Windows 2010 if anyone has "suggestions for a dummy" :)

I've been obsessing on these fossils! Found another "segmented worm" today that is somewhat more complete and pretty much proves it is a crinoid.

Went to Niagra Cave (only 30 miles away) to their rock and fossil shop and picked up: National Audubon Society Field Guide to Fossils and Smithsonian Handbooks FOSSILS by Cyril Walker and David Ward--great pics! Also, many many varieties of crinoids so that may also explain why each of the now five specimens are somewhat different.

Also came across a couple of more fossils this morning. Will have to take pics... I'm just so new to this I don't know what I am looking at! I was looking at the locally collected fossils at Niagra and boy, I just didn't see the fossils... But they have to look like something for me to "get it" at this point.

Would LOVE to show you guys pictures of my fossilized limestone deck! Or whatever it is called, one of my latest brainstorms! :) Very cool though if you like rocks and I am rock obsessed! :) I also have sparkly "creek rock" that has fossils in it :) Quartz I think they call it when it sparkles in the sun. Even some of my limestone sparkles! Gotta love the bling! :)

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Hey Herb,

I have an uncle in Louisville, or is it Lexington? Bill Bowles. Sound familiar?

Bev

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

SE Minnesota

Ordovician Era

Ammonite?

Snail?

Nautilus?

There are a lot of these in this limestone. They vary somewhat in appearance though, so they may not be the same species.post-9628-0-17450400-1346646759_thumb.jpg

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

post-9628-0-45812800-1346646989_thumb.jpg

Again, Ordovician Era

Just found another one this morning, that one had more of what I believe are crinoid parts. But there are lots of different crinoids. All five of the specimens so far are different from one another, but similar.

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

post-9628-0-05286400-1346647177_thumb.jpg

Believe this is a Sunflower Sponge/Coral. Same time period.

Probably... a half dozen that I have found so far in the deck.

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

post-9628-0-13657800-1346647305_thumb.jpg

Same era, another slightly different example. Some of the rocks have as many as 5 snails in them!

The trilobite segment (I think) is out of focus, so I will take new pics tomorrow.

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

SE Minnesota

Ordovician Era

Ammonite?

Snail?

Nautilus?

There are a lot of these in this limestone. They vary somewhat in appearance though, so they may not be the same species.post-9628-0-17450400-1346646759_thumb.jpg

Snail or gastropod, you find internal molds of these in a number of Paleozoic units but especially the Ordovician in your area, the external shell disolved leaving only internal portion.

The first photo is a Maclurites gastropod. The second is a cross-section through a Recepticulites ("sunflower coral, now thought to be an algae), and the third photo is a top view of a nice Recepticulites. These are typical Ordovician fossils; where they occur, you can also often find large cephalopods.

Don

post-9628-0-45812800-1346646989_thumb.jpg

Again, Ordovician Era

Just found another one this morning, that one had more of what I believe are crinoid parts. But there are lots of different crinoids. All five of the specimens so far are different from one another, but similar.

Bev that is more of the Recepticulites fossil algae we talked about via email It is a cross section of the biscuit like your later post, this is a typical fossil in the Ordovician of many locations, if you see the biscuits or the cross sections of these then you know you are in Ordovician rocks. FossilDAWG was able to give you a good summary also, and that gastropod (a snail) genera Maclurites. He is right though keep eyes out for cepahlopods you usually can find them..

Edited by trilobiteruss