Best Mason's Hammer Brand?

Regg Cato

Looking at picking up a mason's hammer, just wondering what everyone's experience is with different brands or if there's anything i should look for...or if it doesn't really matter. :P lol

thanks in advance

For what it's worth, Reg, ... I've had my Estwing chisel edge hammer for over 15 years.

I had a cheap backup hammer with a wooden handle that broke after very limited use.

I don't mind paying extra for lasting quality. :)

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Estwing; never buy another (unless you manage to lose it). LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Whatever you get, I'd paint it a bright color, so it doesn't get lost as easily.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

i just started using rock hammers this year and picked up 2 estwings.as everyone else here stated they are great and i doubt you would need to ever replace one unless lost.

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

Are you looking specifically for a "Mason's hammer" or just an all around good hammer for collecting? A Mason's hammer is not a bad choice but there are other choices.

As you can tell everyone swears by their Estwing hammers. Couldn't agree more and if there is one item you invest good money in make it a good rock pick. I like the long handled pick. It saves my back with the extra reach for turning rocks and supporting myself on a talus slope.

The pointed pick end is not always best for busting some rocks so I laos have a chisel end (Mason's) and a crack hammer (small sledge). They usually stay in the car unless I know for sure I will need them.

DON"T USE WOODEN/FIBERGLASS-HANDLED HAMMERS. Please! In my many years going out with groups I have now had busted hammer heads go whizzing past my head twice. I'm sure the third one will get me.... On these field trips we get new members who come out armed with old wooden claw hammers and sometimes they just feel compelled to wail away at boulders convinced the harder they swing the bigger the fossil they will expose. ARGH!

Edited by erose

I am going to get a hammer soon(one of these) and what types of hammers would anyone recommend for which types of hunting? Like chisel end for trilobites...i dont know what types for which materials i should buy.

: )

Way back when (late 60's), I made a 'brick hammer' in shop class...got an A for the project, and it served reasonably well on the soft Devonian shale outcrop where I spent a fair amount of time extracting casts of Phacops molts. Good times...

A couple years later, I bought a pick-ended Plumb geo hammer (fiberglass handle), and eventually an all-steel Estwing chisel-head job. Made me feel like a pro! :)

post-423-0-70975300-1346520846_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I am going to get a hammer soon(one of these) and what types of hammers would anyone recommend for which types of hunting? Like chisel end for trilobites...i dont know what types for which materials i should buy.

It has less to do with the type of fossils and more to do with the type of rock. A chisel edged rock pick or mason's hammer would be best for splitting shale or other thinly layered strata, while a regular pointed pick will work on all types and is the fall-back tool most of us carry. A small sledge (AKA crack hammer) is great for busting up hard dolomite or driving heavy chisels.

If you combine these with a variety of flat cold chisels and a pry bar or two you are all set.

Edited by erose

EASTWING IS THE ONLY HAMMER I KNOW WITH A LIFE TIME GUARANTEE..i broke the shaft in my eastwing rock hammer last month and it was replaced without a hassle at no cast to me after 12 years and no receipt.

Dare I say Estwing... hammer with pick end, a couple of cold chissels and a cheap 3lb crack hammer.

B) safety glasses, safety glasses, safety glasses B)

I recomend you get the chisels with the hand guard, they are usually flouresecnt orange which helps find it.

But with the hand guard you won't be flipping the chisel into the brush after you wack your hand. :D

The reason I go for the 'cheap' crack hammer is that when using it with chisels it is not being 'swung' but rather used as

a heavy tap on the chisel. .

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

• 1 month later...

I too go with Estwing. Swear by them for splitting the shale and using to dig out concretions on Vancouver Island with the help of a small sledge. I don't put any tape on mine. I always wear a tool belt and have my hammer hanging in the hook. I can also carry a pry bar in the other hook. Lets me move to the fossil face hands free. The pockets are also handy for putting fossils in when I have wandered away from my cache.

"Blimey! Would you look at the size of that!"
McAbee is the other woman!

• 2 months later...

Has anyone said Estwing yet? :D :D Yellow tape on mine.

Dang, someone beat me to this bit of wisdom. Yes, Estwing, and a few chiseld with the anti-hand-smashing plastic shields. You'll be set for life. I paint all my field tools dayglow green.