Best Mason's Hammer Brand?

Regg Cato

found my Estwing at Big Brook 13 years ago, never needed anything else

I lost my Estwing at Big Brook 13 years ago, and have needed another ever since. LOL. :P just kidding...

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Okay, maybe the only one on a budget here, bought mine at the local box store, it has a wooden handle, and it has done fine for 5years and I believe it will continue to work fine. I don't doubt that the Estwing is superior, but would like to point out that wooden handled hand picks are not that dangerous if used properly. Whether and axe, pick, hammer, or any other tool for that matter, using them correctly is key. You don't ever wack anything harder than your tool. Having said all that, where can I buy my Estwing... ;) And can someone summarize the different types in a little more detail as there are a lot of Estwing offerings and I want to get the one that makes the most since. I will use mine most frequently in the quarries (if I ever get to go again) and possibly when I visit my brother up north to hit some road cuts splitting shale etc. Ideally, I would find one that works for both of these environments. In an effort to preserve my elbow, was looking at the lightweight one. Do you guys think this one would work for the above uses and do just fine. I am not competing with the seven dwarfs afterall.

http://www.estwing.c...t_rock_pick.php

Edited by DeloiVarden

I've become a believer in the rubber grip: it should hold up better in normal (wet & dirty) field use, absorbs shock well, and affords a good grip when wearing gloves. LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I've become a believer in the rubber grip: it should hold up better in normal (wet & dirty) field use, absorbs shock well, and affords a good grip when wearing gloves. LINK

Is this the best one for splitting shale and would it also work in the quarries?

This one is a pick; splitting shale would mostly be by striking a chisel with the peen end. They make a chisel-end version, which is for larger-scale work, IMHO, because of the loss of fine control.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 6 months later...

I'll dare to be different! I have a Kobalt brand from Lowes. If I remember right is was under $20. Also at the time I had a $10 gift card too. Anyway always seems to have worked for me. The handle is more of a silicone rubber then the soft eastwing grip. Kobalt is lifetime guaranteed. Also Kobalt tools are made by a company called Danaher which makes Craftsman, Matco and other brands as well.

post-12478-0-49001600-1374806993_thumb.jpg

Ps... I do have an eastwing too. Lol :P

Edited by pinkpantherbeekeeper

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think I've seen an Estwing suggested :P

That's what I purchased after much research

Nice, bright blue finish and handle, wrapped a piece of Neon Orange tape around the neck, hoping to never need another!

The beauty in Estwing hammers (other than the previously listed) is there is a size/weight for everyone.

Their Geo/Paleo pick is really sweet as well. A bit pricey but, for me, has paid (in sweat and strain) for itself.

Gold stars all around!

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

I've had my Estwing for 40 years. I tie orange flagging tape around the handle and let it hang loose. Otherwise I would have lost it five thousand times. If I'm in some type of black shale, I tie flagging tape to everything.

Grampa Dino, if you are reading this, remember the trip out to the badlands years ago when our friend....lost his hammer. It was friggin December, the light was fading, freezing and the four of us are searching for the hammer his mommy gave him as a graduation gift. Never found it. Today it is a rusted tool laying next to the Dino fossil he left it beside....I repeat, put flagging tape around whatever brand you buy.

Edited by Ridgehiker

I've had my Estwing for 40 years. I tie orange flagging tape around the handle and let it hang loose. Otherwise I would have lost it five thousand times. If I'm in some type of black shale, I tie flagging tape to everything.

Grampa Dino, if you are reading this, remember the trip out to the badlands years ago when our friend....lost his hammer. It was friggin December, the light was fading, freezing and the four of us are searching for the hammer his mommy gave him as a graduation gift. Never found it. Today it is a rusted tool laying next to the Dino fossil he left it beside....I repeat, put flagging tape around whatever brand you buy.

I thought it was his grampa that gave him the hammer which was engraved .

All i seem to use my hammer for is toilet holes. but then i go hiking with a walker now :fistbump:

• 2 weeks later...

Estwings are great, but Sears Craftsman makes a nice hammer also. Also life time warranty.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks