erose

Does anyone recognize this? Found in the Lower Cretaceous here in Texas. I'm talking about the objects in the center of the photo with the sorta x-like shape. But the blade-like things to the right are also stumping me.

post-1875-0-90509500-1346620246_thumb.jpg

There's nothing random in the bilateral symmetry, and there is more than one of them, so I feel that it is a part of a larger critter, and built for a particular function...

What does the material they are made of seem like to you?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The 2 pieces look very similar, they look biological to me. But I have to admit I've never seen anything like them. Very interesting! :popcorn:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Speculation is echinoderms. Maybe crinoid for the first, but the saber-shaped ones are completely mysterious, yet fairly abundant. I had ignored them until collecting the site with JohnJ who pointed them out.

If I found these shapes in the Mississippian of Missouri

Which is probably of little help ...

I would speculate the 2 shapes in the center are crinoid

and the blade-like shapes are burrows.

Question regarding the blade-like shapes.

Did you only notice these weathered free or did you also notice

some appearing on the surface of matrix?

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

If I found these shapes in the Mississippian of Missouri

Which is probably of little help ...

I would speculate the 2 shapes in the center are crinoid

and the blade-like shapes are burrows.

Question regarding the blade-like shapes.

Did you only notice these weathered free or did you also notice

some appearing on the surface of matrix?

Yes I do believe the first items may be crinoid but the reference is vague in my memory.

The blades are definitely a distinct fossil, not a burrow. They occur loose in the soft matrix. Until JohnJ pointed them out I had assumed they were bivalve fragments. But he was right, they are distinct fossils.

...The blades are definitely a distinct fossil...

They appear flattened, with both a curve and a bow, and seem to lack any ornament...

What size are they? Do you have other pictures?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

They appear flattened, with both a curve and a bow, and seem to lack any ornament...

What size are they? Do you have other pictures?

They have little nodes, tubercles, nipples, whatever you want to call them on the surface.

The lines on the cards are 1/4" apart. Size varies a bit but this is a typical sampling.

post-1875-0-12802400-1346631192_thumb.jpg

Very echinodermish!

Erich, your Echinothurioid lead is very interesting. It would be nice to add something new to the faunal knowledge of that formation. Here are some additional photos.

post-420-0-13839200-1346646330_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-22606000-1346647265_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks John, These are much better photos than I can currently take. I'm going to include them in an e-mail to Prof. Andrew Smith if that's OK with you?

With the addition of JohnJ's better photos Prof. Andrew Smith of the British Natural History Museum has identified the blades as belonging to the family Echinothuriiidae. These are plates from the test of a large echinoid which was flexible and not all cemented together. Chock up a new taxon for the Glen Rose!

Now back to the X things.

We have Echiniderms here in the Mississippian with the paddle shaped wing plates 1-3" long that look very similar.

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

We have Echiniderms her in the Mississippian with the paddle shaped spines 1-3" long that look very similar.

Those are not spines. They are the plates that would make up the test. But the family is known for having spines with "hoof-shaped" ends. But I have seen no sign of those, despite collecting with a magnifying visor. See the link I posted above.

Those are not spines. They are the plates that would make up the test. But the family is known for having spines with "hoof-shaped" ends. But I have seen no sign of those, despite collecting with a magnifying visor. See the link I posted above.

You're right, they're really not spines even though they stick out to the sides. They are wing plates from "Pterotocrinus sp."

You're right, they're really not spines even though they stick out to the sides. They are wing plates from "Pterotocrinus sp."

OK. I was confused and thought you meant another urchin not a crinoid. Crinoids have so many cool forms....

Bad writing on my part. :(

With the addition of JohnJ's better photos Prof. Andrew Smith of the British Natural History Museum has identified the blades as belonging to the family Echinothuriiidae. These are plates from the test of a large echinoid which was flexible and not all cemented together. Chock up a new taxon for the Glen Rose!

Now back to the X things.

Been out of pocket all day. Wow, Erich! Good work following up with Andrew Smith. It's so cool when your fieldwork adds to the science. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Archived