Which Ceraurus

Malcolmt

Was out hunting this weekend on Saturday with a number of friends from the US, went to Ridgemount on Friday hunting eurypterids and up to Gamebridge to hunt trilobites on Saturday. On the second day my friend found a Ceraurus in pretty rough shape which I prepped for him yesterday. I am speculating that it is a

Ceraurus globulobatus.

It could also be a Ceraurus plattinensis, I really do not know how to tell the difference.

Can anyone more in the know jump in with a definative Id. It was found in the veralum formation at Gamebridge Ontario which is ordovician

post-4886-0-46794700-1346734274_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malcolmt

Sorry, can't help on the id but Ceraurus trilobites are really cool. I've only found one rough, weathered specimen in the Decorah Limestone and don't know the id of it either.

Good Luck on yours.

It's not a Ceraurus plattinensis and probably not a Ceraurus globulobatus either. Many of the Cerauus from Ontario are undescribed. There is someone working on the revision of the Ceraurus and will have to wait until it gets published.

Hi Malcolm,

Attached are the figures of Ceraurus cf. globulobatus and Ceraurus plattinenesis from Hessin, 1988.

As Gerry pointed out, globulobatus was not certain then and evidently still remains unresolved today.

post-4301-0-19076400-1346772254_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Hi Malcolm,

Attached are the figures of Ceraurus cf. globulobatus and Ceraurus plattinenesis from Hessin, 1988.

As Gerry pointed out, globulobatus was not certain then and evidently still remains unresolved today.

post-4301-0-19076400-1346772254_thumb.jpg

Nice prep work Malcolm! Gary should be pleased with the results..

That paper is from Geodigger .... he is here on TFF. :D

Edited by pleecan