Waco Lake Texas Trip For Forum Members

Oh-Man

NOTE: Several folks have asked if they can come - YES! Just let me know who you are and what you will be driving including lisc plate of your vehicle.

Waco Lake Trip for forum members

New map link: http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?ie=UTF8&amp...mp;t=h&z=17

is posted on page 4 of this thread (if this doesn't work).

I will need to get a head/vehicle count.

A permit is required for access.

So, please let me know if you are coming ASAP and if so with a vehicle description.

e-mail me at owenmartin@yahoo.com

mobile contact for me on the trip is 713-591-1529.

Meeting time will be 9:00 AM on Saturday, 10/18 at the Waco Lake COE (Corps of Engineers) office.

Directions:

From Austin and parts south, head north on I-35 to Waco. And from DFW area head south on I-35 to Waco. From either direction, take I-35 to Lakeshore Drive Exit 339

From Houston, head west on 290 to highway 6 north (in Hempstead)

Continue on Highway 6 towards Waco. Take Loop 340 north towards Belmead

Continue under I-35 onto FM 3051 and then onto Lakeshore Dr

All, once north of Waco:

Take Lakeshore Drive west to (right turn) Steinbeck Bend Rd

Take Steinbeck Bend Rd until it dead ends at the base of the dam

Look right and you'll see the COE office.

Access:

You passed the small gated parking area on the left 1/4 mile back on Steinbeck Bend Rd.

I’ll check on the gate lock or combo.

Notes on Waco:

1. The fossils are small so plan on gloves and knee pads and if you are so inclined, elbow pads. I have been known to belly flop at this site when getting into micro Goniophorus echinoids or floating micro crinoids. Most of the better fossils are less than 1 inch maximum dimension and average more like 1/2 inch. That being said, if your eyesight is anything like mine, you'll miss a lot if you walk instead of crawl. Even a stooped walk can't come near the productivity level of crawling.

2. The area is big and generally productive everywhere, so spread out and crawl your chosen areas in a methodical grid pattern. If it is wet make extra sure to be methodical as your tracks and slide marks will obscure what you've missed. Also be mindful not to track up where your fellow collectors are working if it is sloppy out. I've seen this situation get out of control when groups work wet pits, then everybody wonders where all the fossils are hiding.

3. At this site echinoids occur as singles as well as in nests at times. Ditto for brittlestars. Neither is super common but occasionally are found in associations. Shark teeth and pyritized ammonites on the other hand tend to be spread around pretty evenly, with ammonites presenting the most common find. Everyone will walk out with ammonites.

4. All of your finds will generally fit in a medicine bottle, so that is what I bring in my pocket. No need for a backpack or heavy hand tools.

5. While the flats are easiest to hunt, don't ignore the steep slopes. For those who care to billy goat the slopes, "to the motivated go the spoils". (Thanks for the notes Dan!)

Folks that have signed up:

Oh-man (Hou)

MikeD (Hou)

JohnJ

snakekeeper64 (DFW)

danwoehr (Hill country)

Roz Morgan(DFW)

Lance Hall (DFW)

fossil man (OK)

Fruitbat

Bowkill (although it may be a haul from Kansas)

Mike Murphy (s. OK)

Evans (Hill country)

Roger (DFW)

grommit (DFW)

PaleoRon (VA)

ShadyW (DFW)

Jax (DFW)

others are now added, but not reflected in the above list.

Waco_Lake_Map.pdf

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Is it too late for a (tentative, pending spousal approval) signup?

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

Is it too late for a (tentative, pending spousal approval) signup?

You're on the list! Pending spousal approval...

Right now it looks like I'm going to make it, but I won't know for sure until the first part of next week. I'll e-mail when I know for sure.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Right now it looks like I'm going to make it, but I won't know for sure until the first part of next week. I'll e-mail when I know for sure.

You can ride with me if you want.

Mother Nature is currently doing a little prep work on the Waco Pit (flash, boom, splash!) Nice.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Mother Nature is currently doing a little prep work on the Waco Pit (flash, boom, splash!) Nice.

YES! It's been bone dry for weeks and now Waco is getting another line of storms.

They got an inch earlier today...

Exquisite! Dudes, I doubt any of the clubs will have time to mobilize and beat us to the punch.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Man, this is great, all of my site here in Bell county and the surrounding counties have been cleaned and have lots of new stuff to go get. Down side, may have to cut my grass........uoooooo!

Man, this is great, all of my site here in Bell county and the surrounding counties have been cleaned and have lots of new stuff to go get. Down side, may have to cut my grass........uoooooo!

Buy a goat then get to huntin!

Goats mow for free...

Did you all get much rain in SA? We got about 2/3rd on an inch and not much came through the roof so I was pretty happy.

Although I did lose about an hour of sleep since I had to get in the attic as the storm line approached before dawn.

If it did maybe you can find the other half of that 3" heart urchin I found north of town.

This hunt is really shaping up nicely!

There will be no excuses for a paucity of photos!!! ^_^

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The name's Fisher. I go by Tom or Fisher. I am a close friend of Dan Woehr's. I'd like to attend this trip. Thank you. Tom Fisher

COR353

The name's Fisher. I go by Tom or Fisher. I am a close friend of Dan Woehr's. I'd like to attend this trip. Thank you. Tom Fisher

And I'm not a newbie.

I have a whole box full of those Eocene sand dollars that Dan is displaying here whose genus and species escape me for the moment. But what's in a name?

And I'm really good when it comes to spotting exquisitely mineralized mammoth tusks from a hundred yards away that other people tell me are just logs.

And I can carry a whole army issue duffel bag full of ammonites for a mile or more along very rough ground if that is what the field problem of the day demands.

And my ammonite is bigger than Dan's ammonite! Granted, my friend and benefactor took me to the exact place where I was able to find it.

No bull.

Ain't that all right Dan?

COR353

And I'm not a newbie.

I have a whole box full of those Eocene sand dollars that Dan is displaying here whose genus and species escape me for the moment. But what's in a name?

And I'm really good when it comes to spotting exquisitely mineralized mammoth tusks from a hundred yards away that other people tell me are just logs.

And I can carry a whole army issue duffel bag full of ammonites for a mile or more along very rough ground if that is what the field problem of the day demands.

And my ammonite is bigger than Dan's ammonite! Granted, my friend and benefactor took me to the exact place where I was able to find it.

No bull.

Welcome, Tom. Look forward to meeting you.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I'm glad Tom has jumped on board and plans to attend the Waco trip as I've been threatening to take him there for a while. He's proven over the years to have a good eye and also be quite trustworthy with site information. Plus I enjoy the shot of Grateful Dead whenever he drives!

Grüße,

Well Tom, if you can throw in some beach boys then we can really have a party.

Of course, for cruising I prefer some Janis and CCR.

I should mention that I don't have any gray hair despite the musical tastes.

Also, Highway Star by Deep Purple is highly recommended.

We'll look forward to seeing you there - I'll need a vehicle description and lics plates if you're not coming with Dan.

Thanks

O

And I'm not a newbie.

No bull.

Also, I thought I was the only one loading up my Navy C-bag with ammonites and dragging them back (literally one time) over a mile to the car.

Sometimes I just hate Texoma...

O

Tom will be riding with Brian Evans and me in Brian's van.

Grüße,

O

Tom will be riding with Brian Evans and me in Brian's van.

Grateful Dead....Deep Purple......How are they going to fit with my collection of Bluegrass, and we know that driver comfort is of utmost importance.

Crank up the Del McCoury Band..........

Brian

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

B

I'm open minded and eclectic enough to appreciate your Bluegrass and as you said, the driver calls the shots. But if you need any Frank Zappa, The Who, Grand Funk, James Brown or Beau Jocque and the Zydeco High Rollers, I'm your hookup...

Grüße,

I'm glad Tom has jumped on board and plans to attend the Waco trip as I've been threatening to take him there for a while. He's proven over the years to have a good eye and also be quite trustworthy with site information. Plus I enjoy the shot of Grateful Dead whenever he drives!

Hi Dan.Thank you for your kindness and generosity regarding the above comments and so much more over the years, my dear friend. If not for you,I'd still be in my backyard peering at the light polluted skies of San Antonio for the rest of my days, looking for objects no longer to be seen because of this stupid Texas obsession with lighting up formerley dark skies all night long!

You alone sparked a flame that had burned out years ago for me in southern Maryland.

Unfortunately,my memory centers are so imprinted with job related mumbo jumbo and heavenly bodies that I am unable to committ to memory so much of the geological and paleontological material one needs to know cold,but I am still trying. It comes hard when you pass fifty,at least for me.

Thank you also John for welcoming me and it will be a great pleasure to meet you and all of the other folks as well.

Well,enough of this hearts and flowers routine. I can't wait to get to the field once again and crawl on my belly all day. And I'm gonna take another guy's advice and bring nothing but knee pads,gloves and a few medicine bottles unless you have anything else to recommend Dan. Great hunting to all! Tom

COR353