Finding Fossils At The Hotel

Tarheel59

Iwent back down to Fl for a wedding and reception not really expecting a fossil hunt so I was accepting that no matter how hard a pill it is to swallow... We arrived in Mt. Dora area and checked into the hotel. Most of us avid hunters know to look down and around everywhere we go. I saw lots of river rocks in the shrub/landscaped areas. But most will know that a very remote possiblity to find a fossil in there.

They did have an spot behind a fenced in area that housed the pool pumps and other pool clorine tanks. This area was locked and there was a layer of chunks of burden from probably a local/state mine. The fencing was similar to a picket type as it had spacing in between the metal pickets. Over the weekend I am sure I got some strange stares as people walked behind me and saw that I was picking up material from the area.

I was limited to distance also that I could reach into so improvising I used my flip flops as a tool to reach a little further in and roll pieces towards me. It was not a banner hunt by any means but I came away with a couple nice pieces and got to hunt a little.

Also my nephew is into spiritual stones and their meanings and for the reception as party favors he had some Morrocan Calcite geodes at all the tables. I was able to come away with several as some guests left theirs. :) (more for me)

So it goes to show you always look around for any oppurtuninty to hunt.. You never know where you could be..and what you will find. :)

Here are a few pics of what I found first ones are group shots of over all haul..Thanks for looking Jeff

Edited by Tarheel59

Sorry Zach was having an old persons moment. was trying to load pre-editted images but did not get any erroe msgs... Jeff

Group shot and pic of Morrocan geode..

post-4990-0-40097500-1346872321_thumb.jpg

post-4990-0-22029600-1346872346_thumb.jpg

The nicest shell cast I found... and a grp shot of all the fossil clam casts together and two external shell casts... Jeff

post-4990-0-53899300-1346872528_thumb.jpg

post-4990-0-20423700-1346872554_thumb.jpg

post-4990-0-72687900-1346872592_thumb.jpg

nice cast and geode, if i went to florida i would fossil hunt like mess, i would go to gainsville and the peace river!

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

A Gastro imprint fossil and another cast imprint and a turetella imprint I believe correct if I am wrong.. Jeff

post-4990-0-77996300-1346872743_thumb.jpg

post-4990-0-32043000-1346872814_thumb.jpg

post-4990-0-49413600-1346872881_thumb.jpg

And last pic is what looks like calicified pieces. All this stuff may have been local or near place like Rucks Pit area...Rucks is about 1 1.2 drive or so south of there... Jeff

post-4990-0-71928800-1346873284_thumb.jpg

That's makin' lemonade out of lemons! :)

Thanks for the report, Jeff.

Nice finds for not being able to get away to hunt.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

nice cast and geode, if i went to florida i would fossil hunt like mess, i would go to gainsville and the peace river!

Once you get old enough Zach you will find out that some times real life interferes with our hobbies. My trip was not to hunt though I wish I could have. I had to be at places for several days and dressed up to boot. Though I did manage to get some time in around that fence is was funny looking to myself sticking my shoe in waiting to be caught off guard by strangers... Jeff

That's makin' lemonade out of lemons! :)

Thanks for the report, Jeff.

Nice finds for not being able to get away to hunt.

Regards,

Thanks Tim yep I would have loved to get into those rivers or creeks as I was rolling up I95 with no sleep, I saw low tide and the banks exposed. Summerville, the Editso, PeeDee, Lumberton, Savannah. I was driving after being up 24 hrs that is by time I got half way it was 24 hrs... made drive in 11 stopping often to gas and stretch... Jeff

...behind a fenced in area that housed the pool pumps and other pool clorine tanks...I used my flip flops as a tool to reach a little further in and roll piece towards me...

Jeff, you really got it bad...shake%20head.gif

I'm proud to know ya'!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Jeff, you really got it bad...shake%20head.gif

I'm proud to know ya'!

Thanks Chas :) I feel bad I had to leave some that I could not reach. Although I did think how I could ge in and out in the dead of night... hehehe :) We have to improvise sometimes....:) Jeff

You'll have to put one of those little child's rakes in your car trunk. I use one of those from time to time. Come in handy and not too big! :-)

Great pics of those finds!

I did the same thing a few days ago when I used a long stick to coax a 4-inch horn coral from a high ledge.

I also did some scrounging around in some of that shelly limestone stuff when I visited Orlando as a kid.

Context is critical.

And last pic is what looks like calicified pieces. All this stuff may have been local or near place like Rucks Pit area...Rucks is about 1 1.2 drive or so south of there... Jeff

Probably Upper Eocene Ocala Limestone material. I might be able to id the one bivalve with ridges once I get home from my business trip.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Probably Upper Eocene Ocala Limestone material. I might be able to id the one bivalve with ridges once I get home from my business trip.

Thanks Mike will look forward to an ID on it...Jeff

You'll have to put one of those little child's rakes in your car trunk. I use one of those from time to time. Come in handy and not too big! :-)

Great pics of those finds!

No trunk to put it in have big Dodge truck and already have a spagetti strainer in back floorboard :) Not sure where I could stow a rake like that..:)

I did the same thing a few days ago when I used a long stick to coax a 4-inch horn coral from a high ledge.

I also did some scrounging around in some of that shelly limestone stuff when I visited Orlando as a kid.

Thanks Missourian. I was worried the management was going to catch me and scold me... Not that I was really doing anything wrong but, probably worried I could do something with all the craziness going on in the world today. Jeff

On your 2nd pic, cristals are quartz.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

What brand are your flip-flops? Estwing? Just curious...

Whut?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!