Lower Cretaceous Hike

JohnJ

I hiked to a spot I haven't been in a few years. It was covered with late summer growth, but I was able to find some keepers.

a couple of pyrite covered Neithea

post-420-1223268187_thumb.jpg

an interesting little ammonite

post-420-1223268323_thumb.jpgpost-420-1223268377_thumb.jpgpost-420-1223268442_thumb.jpg

Macraster??

post-420-1223268686_thumb.jpg

and finally a sizeable vertebra (shark / fish?)

post-420-1223268903_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

For the record I worked the same area a year ahead of John and didn't find any platter size shark verts! This was a very rare find for the Lower Cretaceous.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Great stuff, bravely acquired! (I can't read the phrase "late summer growth" without thinking of ticks...lots of ticks. The birders among you will know what I mean).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Great stuff, bravely acquired! (I can't read the phrase "late summer growth" without thinking of ticks...lots of ticks. The birders among you will know what I mean).

Don't forget the chiggers!

Nice finds, John.

Here's a few of the reasons I like my camp on the Allegheny Plateau in N. PA:

No poison ivy, venemous snakes, chiggers, and very few ticks.

Plenty of deer, bear, turkey, grouse, snowshoe hares, bobcats, native brook trout, and an incredible diversity of neotropical migrant songbirds.

Then there's all the Pennsylvanian coal swamp exposures... :D

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Here's a few of the reasons I like my camp on the Allegheny Plateau in N. PA:

No poison ivy, venemous snakes, chiggers, and very few ticks.

Plenty of deer, bear, turkey, grouse, snowshoe hares, bobcats, native brook trout, and an incredible diversity of neotropical migrant songbirds.

Then there's all the Pennsylvanian coal swamp exposures... :D

Auspex, I'm fairly good at avoiding most of the above. So if you came to Texas, we'd try to keep you safe...but, did I mention you may have to wade through thigh deep water covered in "late summer growth" algae and duckweed? It's the "no see-ums" that usually cause raised blood pressure. Most of the time it's just a spider, or fire ant.

However, the rewards are satisfying. ;)

Auspex, I'm fairly good at avoiding most of the above. So if you came to Texas, we'd try to keep you safe...but, did I mention you may have to wade through thigh deep water covered in "late summer growth" algae and duckweed? It's the "no see-ums" that usually cause raised blood pressure. Most of the time it's just a spider, or fire ant.

However, the rewards are satisfying. ;)

I used to lead birding tours, and the lower valley was one of my favorites. I got into chiggers so bad there that I had to soak my socks off in the bathtub. But I kept coming back...

I used to lead birding tours, and the lower valley was one of my favorites. I got into chiggers so bad there that I had to soak my socks off in the bathtub. But I kept coming back...

...good thing it was just your socks.

A bad case of chiggers would make any list of bad things that could happen to you in the Texas outdoors. :(

Does anyone want to offer up an ID on the little ammonite? (Washita group formation) Are enough diagnostic characteristics exposed to make an ID? Thanks.

post-420-1223351662_thumb.jpgpost-420-1223351694_thumb.jpg