Whoa! That's No Log!

Uncle Siphuncle

I love it when one serendipitous find at twilight transforms an average day into a freakin' party, forcing me to navigate miles back to my car in the moonlight...can I get a MUHAHA!?!?! 28" long, 8" diameter, est 40-50 LBS. The other side looks better.

post-22-1223273549_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I love it when one serendipitous find at twilight transforms an average day into a freakin' party, forcing me to navigate miles back to my car in the moonlight...can I get a MUHAHA!?!?! 28" long, 8" diameter, est 40-50 LBS. The other side looks better.

Mammoth tusk!!??

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

My friends, this is my biggest hunk o' ivory to date. Once I get it stabilized and photographed you'll agree with the ID. Natural camouflage can sometimes be deceptive. Gotta wonder how many killer bones and tusks are written off as "just a piece of driftwood" due to a little algae or mud obscuring the specimen.

Grüße,

My friends, this is my biggest hunk o' ivory to date. Once I get it stabilized and photographed you'll agree with the ID. Natural camouflage can sometimes be deceptive. Gotta wonder how many killer bones and tusks are written off as "just a piece of driftwood" due to a little algae or mud obscuring the specimen.

Awesome find, Dan!

Congrats.

"And the men who hold high places, Must be the ones to start

To mould a new reality, Closer to the Heart"

(Rush, "Closer to the Heart" from the album "A Farewell to Kings")

Hooray! I finally got one right! Unless it's Mastodon. :(

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

"Alas, poor Horton..."

Pumping ivory sounds like a particularly gratifying exercise regimin! Congrats!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I didn't set out after ivory per se. But I did finally find proper ballast for the bow of my boat.

Grüße,

Excellent find! Now you need a tooth. :D

And some waterproof boots dude :D What's up with the tennis shoes? :P

Awesome find! I'd jump into the river for that too!

How far back did it go into the bank? Did it go all the way to the point?

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Tennis shoes? You are looking at purpose built performance gear, my friends. Those are canoeing shoes designed to endure the rigors of my amphibious lifestyle. Regular tennis shoes tend to delaminate on me as they aren't designed to stay wet as long as I need them to. I have to admit however that I've already had to start sewing these shoes back together and they are only a couple months old. I'm just too rough on gear.

The tusk only went back another 8 or 10 inches, but since the proximal end was in the bank, it got bigger as I lifted it out - no "ground shrinkage" in this case.

Grüße,

...I've already had to start sewing these shoes back together and they are only a couple months old. I'm just too rough on gear.

Just Butvar your feet...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Apparently I'm hunting toothless mammoths!

Grüße,

Your finds are always awesome..so I'm not sure what words to use to discribe this. My first reaction when I saw the pic would not be suitable for printing here......Congrats !!!

Awesome ,that ranks right up there with the Bison skull cap!

Did it come out of the bank intact?

B

Secret spots? Me? MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Grüße,

Dan, I've shared stories with you about how one can be so focused on the object of your attention that you can miss something obvious nearby. I was wondering as I studied your fantastic in-situ photo, since one of your goals is a mammoth tooth, why the twilight prevented you from noticing that there is not one in the upper right hand corner. :D

post-420-1223340620_thumb.jpg

Way too go!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ