Joyce

So I doodled on down to Aurora on Friday (8/31/12). My parents had come to visit and since I'm always yammering about fossils I decided to show them what it was all about. They loved it. My mom's first outting produced a Carcharocles angustidens tooth with the corner broken off, a nice lil modern mako and a cow shark lower (Notorrhynchus primigenius). I found my first dolphin tooth, first squalodon tooth and a nice modern tiger. In all reality, I think I had a hemipristis magnet on me! LOL! My dad did well. Finding all kinds of various teeth and some nice shark vert disks. He also found a very tiny dolphin tooth and my husband as well. Hubby found a Catticus to boot. And we both found a couple little thresher teeth which according to the museum director have gotten scarce there. He found a nice pathalogical tooth that appears to be sand tiger. I found a nice fish vert and some sand tigers that looked perfect (until I pulled them out of the dirt). We all know how that goes!!! I love the little stuff too. I found the tiniest sand tiger in my collection and it is nearly perfect! And, the smallest hemipristis I've ever come across. And of course as always a handful of the copper, smooth hammerhead, lemon, silky shark teeth. As well as a couple bull shark teeth. I did find a stumper. It looks like a sharpnosed tooth (Rhizoprionodon sp.) but the front of the tooth has huge "horns" coming from the root, throwing me off.

And I ran into MikeDOTB. It was a pleasure and I have to say THANKS AGAIN MIKE!!!!

Well I will post a few pictures now! :)

post-5889-0-64891800-1346897976_thumb.jpg

post-5889-0-42524500-1346897994_thumb.jpg

post-5889-0-42175100-1346898029_thumb.jpg

post-5889-0-39278200-1346898064.jpg

post-5889-0-27002700-1346898086_thumb.jpg

SAND TIGERS, CATTICUS AND HE PATHOLOGICAL TOOTH. WAS HARD TO GET A GOOD ANGLE. YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE POSTERIOR SIDE AND THE TIP IS CURVED THE LEFT AND BACK.

post-5889-0-13414800-1346898865_thumb.jpg

post-5889-0-60236700-1346898887_thumb.jpg

post-5889-0-84236700-1346898914_thumb.jpg

Hubby found a Catticus to boot.

Please write complete name. "Catticus" is a species name, not a genus name ! It must be written with its genus name. I suppose you speak about Carcharoides catticus, but I am not sure, because I don't know the american fauna ! ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I think your angie is actually a chub meg. I have zero experience in that neck of the woods but my understanding is if you were hunting the spoils piles that is more likely.

Thanks hokiehunter! Still learning here. The book ID book I was looking at is older and has it listed incorrectly. What primarily distinguishes the two? Is it solely based on the epoch where the material came from? :o

Coco, I honestly don't know. I came across a older discussion on this site that has that listing. We will assume for now (until i can do more research) that it is Carcharoides catticus. I was just gonna call it reef shark but again, I'm learning! ;)

They are ready to do some more hunting with me!! :P

Also, what distinguishes the Carcharoides catticus from a lamnid shark or are they considered the same thing??

Carcharoides catticus is a Lamnid family shark : http://users.skynet.be/somniosus/Carcharoides_catticus.htm

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I was looking at the tooth and it is smooth. No serrations on either side. Does this make it Otodus obliquus??

thats a nice tiger shark tooth for aurora piles, ive never got a large one out of there. and nice hemi

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

And Coco, thanks for the site. Love how it shows all angles of the tooth!!

I studied it further and realized not all of the teeth are serrated depending on location in the mouth. I do believe it truly is Carcharoides catticus.

My proffesor is taking a group back to Aurora this fall, he's been there many times. I would like to go but the new knee back in July is giving me fits and he hits some very remote places, maybe next time. I had to write a paper on Aurora and he only gives up the micro fossils, he keeps all the "big" stuff for himself, but I guess that's the privelage of being a professor. I found a nice 3+ inch Ric down in Alabama and he about broke his arm getting it from me for his collection, that's why I prefer to go out on my own.

thanks sharkdentist! LOVE the cartoon you have there! :rofl:

Thats awesome Ric! We were not actually in the mine. The mine is currently closed to the public. We hunted the reject piles and "reject parking lot". I don't think my parents could manuever the mine. At least in the piles you can sit and dig as you please. I must say when I was scanning the lot it is a pain in the neck (BUT TOTALLY WORTH IT)!! I love the big and micros You can find some of the rarest teeth in the micro reject!! I haven't broken down with a magnifying glass yet BUT after reading some other posts on this site I think I am going to start!!!!!!!!!

Looks like you had an awesome trip, also I dont know anything about another pile three blocks from the museum...could you tell me about that? Last i also look through the parking lot ;) i didnt think many people look there...

: )

It was nice meeting you Joice. Yeah they are mostly Carcharocles Chubetensis that come out of those piles but every now and then something random will show up but usually younger. Yall did pretty well! That little majo I found was my best tooth of the day for me.

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Survivor, that pile is located by turning left when coming out of the museum and walking 3 blocks. It is under a couple of trees. Be careful of the fire ants there and apparently those dag nab biting flies liked to hang out there. Maybe it was just me. The new "parking lot" was a gold mine. I couldn't believe all that was still there. We dug some of the sides & corners but a lot of it was right on top!

Mike, you were pulling out the hemis too!! I don't think I've seen so many of those in one day!

Archived