6 replies to this topic

#1 Desmond

Desmond

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 12:30 PM

I recently visited Washington State in hopes of some fossil hunting but couldn't locate site info in time for my trip so I thought I'd help anyone who's passing through Ohio out...
A strong note here it is illegal to stop alongside of a interstate hiway and hunt fossils. You can however hunt along side of state routes etc as long as you watch for private property. Digging on public property is not however legal...

North Western Ohio:

Fossil Park Sylvania
http://www.olanderpk.com/
Search on the web for them limited hours easy access but very hit and miss for quantity of fossils avalible some days you can find plenty of Phycops Rana Trilobites other days none always some nice brachiopods and corals though. Note you can recover VERY nice chunks of Pyrite and Pyritized fossils here I have a small collection of them going.

I have yet to find any other good public access spots up there...

South East Ohio:

Caesar Creek Emergency Spillway
http://www.lrl.usace...?MyCategory=224
It's essentialy a very large open field of mostly barren ground that cut on just the right layer for a lot of flexicalymine trilobites and a host of assosiated fauna. This is a great place for kids to visit since there is no tools swinging away...

Hueston Woods State Park
http://www.dnr.state...45/default.aspx
I've not been there before but I know they have great hunting sites

Road Cuts
Almost any exposed rock in this region of Ohio has some amount of fossils in it. Don't be afraid to stop and look!

It's not much but It'll give you a start
Any questiosn / comments Post UM or email me falkon@watchtv.net

#2 Rain1950

Rain1950

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:31 AM

!

It's not much but It'll give you a start
Any questiosn / comments Post UM or email me falkon@watchtv.net
[/quote]

I posted this in the geograpohic section, but will repost here:

http://www.vasichkom...Georgetown.html

Check his home page, lots of great info!

#3 Rain1950

Rain1950

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:03 PM

Listing broken down by county: http://donaldkenney....m/STATES/OH.HTM

#4 Guest_solius symbiosus_*

Guest_solius symbiosus_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:02 PM

Those are some great resources. Thanks Rain.

#5 danwoehr

danwoehr

Member of the Month 09/08; Find of the Month 12/09; VFOTM 11/11

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Awards

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:46 PM

I grew up in Cincinnati and collected some of these areas. My first memorable find was a perfect little Isotelus gigas trilobite from the Caesar Creek Spillway back in 1980 when I was 10. The place has been hit pretty hard over the years but I stopped by there last year and still found plenty of good brachiopods and horn corals.

I also hit some of the Georgetown road cuts back in 1980 with a group. I remember finding the biggest horn coral I've ever seen, about 6-7 inches. The leader of the trip found a killer asteroid starfish some years prior which I got to view a couple times. I guess these experiences helped create the monster I have become!

For anyone truly interested in Ohio Ordovician fossils, I suggest joining the Cincinnati Dry Dredgers and going on their field trips with them. I'm sure there are other clubs in Toledo, Columbus, and Cleveland that might cater better to Devonian, Pennsylvanian, and Silurian field trips. If I still lived there I'd probably be running all over OH, PA, KY, TX, IN, and IL collecting varied material. However I love the southern states in that they provide a climate conducive to year round collecting.
Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

#6 Desmond

Desmond

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:07 AM

Dang rain I was just rereading this section again and seen you were from WA. I wish I'd known that before I visited Anacortes in Oct lol. I ended up not even making it out to the geode place in Skagit Co.
On that list of Places to hunt in Ohio is a place I've been trying to figure out since you first posted it. A quarry in Paulding Co?

Also seeing your from WA and not OH and that you have the post on geodized brachiopods, would you like a few I collect them whenever I find them so I've a fair pile of them going.
Desmond

#7 Rain1950

Rain1950

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for the offer, however all my research is for my retirement in 14 months. I'd be more than happy to pick a few up when I'm on the road; or maybe we could go out busting rock at some point in the future

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users