Tiny Carboniferous Steps (Joggins, Nova Scotia)

Oxytropidoceras

On 9/20/2012 at 10:00 AM, Fossildude19 said:

Matt,

Thanks so much for answering my questions. :)

I really appreciate that. I enjoyed your answers,and did not mind the length of them in the least - no need to apologize.

I found your replies fascinating.

Thank you, once again. And please keep us informed of whatever you are working on with these or other fossils from Joggins.

I for one would be interested in anything new you have to add.

Regards,

Hi Fossildude19

I am very glad. Always happy to convey our science to others. As a good friend of mine once said. What is the point of painting a picture of an ancient world if paleontologists are the only ones who get to see it. Science is for the public, the amateur rockhounds, and the scientists. It is our job to make it available to everyone from the child to the adult. novice to professional. otherwise, whats the point?

With regards to your request to keep you informed of other projects, we have lots of other projects in the works. I am currently working on some new invertebrate tracks from New Brunswick,and lots of trackway projects in NS, NB and PEI. Everything from small millipede traces to horseshoe crabs, to giant myriapods (Arthropleura). CT scanning bones inside of lycopsid trees. Carbonate (limestone) depositional environments, bone geochemisty. geological mapping. Lots on the go. busy busy.

• Enjoyed 1

I am currently working on some new invertebrate tracks from New Brunswick,and lots of trackway projects in NS, NB and PEI. Everything from small millipede traces to horseshoe crabs, to giant myriapods (Arthropleura). CT scanning bones inside of lycopsid trees. Carbonate (limestone) depositional environments, bone geochemisty. geological mapping. Lots on the go. busy busy.

Right, so ummm ... where do I apply?

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Right, so ummm ... where do I apply?

haha with the sever lack of cash flow for paleo projects up here, trust me you don't want to.. kool stuff.. no money. But if you are ever in the part of the world I would happy to show you around.

M

haha with the sever lack of cash flow for paleo projects up here, trust me you don't want to.. kool stuff.. no money. But if you are ever in the part of the world I would happy to show you around.

M

Hi Matt,

Yeah, its like that here in the states too, probably everywhere right now. These things tend to cycle though, it'll turn back around eventually. If I'm ever up in the area I may indeed take you up on the offer, your research looks like pretty cool stuff and its certainly along the lines of what I like. If you are ever around Purdue let me know I'll show you around the department, and you can see the fossils we've collected as well.

Edited by AgrilusHunter

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Matt,

Thanks for the link to the show - Was a great to listen to it, and see you getting some recognition for your work.

Sounds like you have allot on your plate, in the way of projects!

If you wouldn't mind checking in here from time to time, I'd like to hear more about your projects.

I'm sure others would too.

CT scanning hollowed out logs and imaging the inhabitants sounds pretty cool. :)

Ichnology is interesting to me as well.

Thanks again Matt, and good luck with your projects. Hope to hear more about them.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Matt,

Ichnofossils, CT scans, a peak behind the 'curtain'...

It is safe to say that there is nothing you could bring forth here about your projects that we would not find intensely interesting. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

'' What is the point of painting a picture of an anciant world if paleontologists are the only ones who get to see it. Science is for the public, the amateur rockhounds, and the scientists. It is our job to make it available to everyone from the child to the adult. novice to professional. otherwise, whats the point? ''

Great thread... I look forward to seeing more of your work and hopefully more contributions by youself and colleagues on TFF in the future...

Thanks for the insight...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

My pleasure all. And again, I am Happy to answer any questions. I will be sure to keep you all informed as projects unfold.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know how proud I'm of this guy. I've been initiated to rockhunting in the past 3 years but Matt made me better at it. I've had the privilege since last year to be his field parter on some of his work. Knowledgeable he is, ichnology is his baby =P

It was always my impression since I was a kid that to find fossils you'd have to go on adventures very far. I never thought that I would end up adventuring in my own backyard. :)

Finding bones in trees at Joggins, unearthing dinosaur bones and teeth at Wassons Bluff (Parrsboro, Nova Scotia), chasing after all sorts of trackways all over New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, swooning over beautiful articulated plants from Northern New Brunswick and Cape Breton, whacking away in a quarry to collect rubies somewhere deep in Cape Breton or Amethyst Cove, finding fish killbeds in the mountains in the famous Albert Mines area, and the list goes on and on.

I love these trips as it gives me the chance to each time get educated in the subject and get actual field work training. Its also a great opportunity to mingle with professionals in the field and make great friends.

Three years ago, I couldn't tell the difference between two pieces of rock. With Matt's help and guidance, my eyes are able to spot things that I don't think I would catch. I've blogged many of our trips since last year, but we've been so busy this Summer that I didn't get the chance to update. Any chance I get, I hop in my Volkswagen Bunny and hit the road.

The East coast offers rockhounds and fossil admirers wonderful locations. Eventually I'll make my way to Ontario as i've heard there's good Ordovician fishing over there. :P

Cheers!

Keenan R.

Rockhunting Hobbit

• 1 year later...

Thank you for the very kind words Keenan. Likewise it has been a pleasure to work with you in the field in the past and look forward to future adventures.

If any of you make your way to Atlantic Canada do let us know. It would be great to show you around.

Matt

Edited by mstimson29