Huge Meg Tooth In A Video ?

Ted86

...we can have a glimpse of a huge Meg in a black market in the hands of a woman. Is that a fake or a real one ?

Fake. This vid is famous here.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

In one (or more) of the "Biggest Meg Tooth" topics.

If I remember correctly, gigantic 'reproductions' are a common product at those tourist markets.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Thank you. Where is this video talked about here ?

I spent a little time looking for the topic(s) where that video was posted, but had no luck. I remember it clearly, so it is buried here somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you spot a fake tooth?

I have seen discussion of other fake stuff and I would like to believe I am learning. I assumed I guess wrongly that teeth were not faked. Now I am curious of finding fakes of them as well.

Robert
Southeast, MO

How do you spot a fake tooth?

Section 1, Paragraph 1, Rule-Of-Thumb 1:

If it is bigger than your head, it is fake.

Lol do they make smaller fakes?

You see a lot of meg teeth online from 2-4 inches and they sell for pretty high dollar (at least in my opinion).

Robert
Southeast, MO

Overzealous restoration, when undisclosed, is probably all anyone really needs to worry about (well, that and inaccurate provenance). There seems to be a lot of glued-up Otodus crowns and roots coming out of Morocco; some of them are pretty pathetic mash-ups. Fanciful associations in artfully arranged "matrix" pieces are also popular exports from that country.

Provenance!!!! -- Morgan River, South Carolina, Mark Renz, Gordon Hubble

I had the extreme good fortune of visiting Dr Hubble's home Museum and touching this 7.25 Inch Meg. Even though this is likely the largest Meg in captivity, in my view it is not the best exhibit in the museum.

This was a field trip to Gainesville with my local fossil club back in February. !!!

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I hope everyone who really gets into collecting shark fossils can make it over to Gordon Hubbell's museum just once. I have been lucky to have visited it a few times and been able to spend some time talking with Gordon (he goes to Tucson as well).

His museum seems to have at least a little of everything and a lot of incredible specimens modern and fossil. The big specimens catch the eye but if you focus on the small teeth too (the fantastic variety), you realize he could teach a class on shark evolution with just what is on display in that room.

I had the extreme good fortune of visiting Dr Hubble's home Museum and touching this 7.25 Inch Meg. Even though this is likely the largest Meg in

captivity, in my view it is not the best exhibit in the museum.

This was a field trip to Gainesville with my local fossil club back in February. !!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there.

These kinds of fake are disappointing...

However, I remember to have witnessed on the forum a 7 inch pathologic lateral specimen, not restored, from South Carolin I think.

I cannot found it anymore with all the threads but I wondered if someone recalls of it and knows if it was a real one ?

I such a specimen was a lateral, the UA may have been even bigger right, and the living shark absolutely a giant even among megalodons ?