Just Another Day At The Eurypterid Quarry.

Malcolmt

Well I spent a wonderful day (perfect weather , not too hot not too cold and no rain) at the Eurypterid quarry today with two fellow collectors from the US and Quarryman Dave from the forum here. I was supposed to be hosting a member of the forum and his girl friend but unfortunately they had to cancel at the last minute. Too bad they might have had a very productive day based on how many eurypterids were found today..

One of the collectors from the US (he is a regular comes up about once a month) found a lovely 6 inch eurpterid with both paddles 1 walking leg and a balancing leg unfortunately the telson (bottom spine of tail) was missing. Non the less a great specimen. Note to self... he found it in a pit I abandoned a few weeks ago about 6 inches from where I was digging. He found it one layer below the layer I had been finding them in.

Unfortunately, Quarryman Dave as hard as he tried just doesn't quite seem to have the knack for getting the eurypterids to bite for him. He actually split a lot of rock today............... Maybe he is using the wrong bait...... Not a total loss though he did get a very good geology lesson from a real expert and he found a partial head of a horseshoe crab. I have not found even a part of a horseshoe crab yet. (they are quite small only a a couple inches long at this location).

While Dave was there I found this double plate that has a complete ventral view eurypterid at the top although the head is detached and positioned just above the body. The second eurypterid below the first one is a dorsal view and it is also missing the telson but on closer inspection the telson from it is up to the left of the top eurypterid (the one there anyway is the correct size for this one. The first one has its telson attached..

post-4886-0-03149000-1347065773_thumb.jpg

Dave is going to be ##### at me, I found two more complete after he left. He could only stay till about 1:30.

The first one is about 7 inches long. I do not have a picture at this point it came out in about a dozen pieces and will require some intensive care. I will have the superglue out for sure tommorow.

The 4rth one of the day is a real gem. Actually it is kind of amazing that I even saw it. It may turn out to be may favorite eurypterid that I have collected , haven't quite decided yet. For sure it is staying in my collection. It is the smallest eurypterid I have ever seen come out of the Williamsville "A" layer of the Bertie waterlime. Here are two pictures of the positive and negative with an american dime as a point of reference.

post-4886-0-96138600-1347065758_thumb.jpg

post-4886-0-72243800-1347065767_thumb.jpg

This one is smaller than the tiny ones Pleecan and I sometimes find in the Fiddlers Green formation.

All in all a very good day I would say (4 eurypterids)

Mike and D. it was a real shame you could not make it. The offer to join me for a day of eurypterid collecting is open anytime you can reschedule. For that matter if anyone from the forum wants join me for a day just PM me. Just know there are days that we go home skunked. Just ask Quarryman Dave who has yet to find one in quite a number of visits or Pleecan.

Edited by Malcolmt
  • I found this Informative 1

There you go again hunting for those BORING eurypterids (as you put it)! Hogwash! Those are super COOL!

Thanks for posting!

At least one of them needs some serious prep work to get it into some semblence of of itself......

Great finds Malcolm!!! Wish I could of been there.... That tiny one is a real beauty! and rare from the Williamsville formation.

Here is the tiny eurypterid found in 2005 from Fiddlers Green Formation, Bertie Group. (recently re-imaged)

post-2446-0-25719200-1347070161_thumb.jpg

Edited by pleecan

Great report Malcolm.

You ARE the Eurypterid whisperer. :)

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow, those are super cool I so wish I could find one lol.

You always seem to pull out some amazing finds. They seem to come looking for you half the time I believe. You have some sort of Eurypterid mitis touch.

That little one is super awesome.

Robert
Southeast, MO

Those are some really nice fossils! Down in NYC we all dreamed of collecting good eurypyterids but there wasn't anywhere close to collect. The Lang quarry at Passage Gulf would allow folks in but you still had to buy what you found. Even at a great discount it was not inexpensive. The idea that you folks are popping into that quarry on a regular basis and extracting good specimens just blows my mind.

Hi Malcolm,

after reports like these the suspension is building more and more on my side of the big puddle. Can't wait for the big jump over there! I'm really falling in love with these guys. Hope to be making the aquaintance of some of them in October. Thanks again for sharing your experiences!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I wish I lived close enough to take you up on that offer, Malcolm, I'm jealous.

Do you find any other fossils at that quarry, so that you don't feel completely skunked when you don't find any Eurypterids?

The eurypterids are actually the most common fossil found anything else is even rarer. So basically when you get skunked on the eurypterids , you go home empty handed. The other things you have any chance of finding are cephalopods, phylocarids and a few plants.

Started to clean up the haul from Friday at the eurypterid quarry. Here is a group photo of what I have glued back together and started to clean up so far. This picture was after it had all been washed down and was in the process of drying.

post-4886-0-69271000-1347227286_thumb.jpg

Not a bad day all in all. None are museum grade but the double is pretty cool and the large one in the middle is the largest I have ever found. It is missing the head and first four tergirtes but does have one of the paddles. It is 9 inches so I suspect it would have been 13 to14 inches if complete.

Edited by Malcolmt

Malcolm: That is what I call a super haul!!!! Something one would find in 3-5 yrs of collecting ....You did it in one day... well done.

Peter