Gulkana River Stone Vertebra

dplatt

Ooooo, that is interesting! I wish I could turn it around in my hands and get a solid grasp on its 3-D morphology.

Can you post a picture from its left 'end', as seen in the first image?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

From this direction:

post-423-0-62402800-1347220487_thumb.jpg

(Angle of the red arrow)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

If that bump is an occipital condyle, then you have a skull; I just can't ket my mind around the complicated geometry...

Well, it is not what I thought...and I still don't know. :(

It's a complicated form, and I've yet to lock in on clear bilateral symmetry. Are you certain it is bone?

The picture you marked with an arrow. It is hard to see but at the top of the view the structure is symetrical. The part on the left side has been broken off. Everything on the piece is stone but the dark part looks like it was bone. It has been squished slightly.

I'm no help on your find, but welcome to TFF!

Been to your state 3 times, but never to fossil hunt.

So much ground to cover.....

How about the rock in the second picture holding up the other rock. It is from a fossil bearing area on the Little Nelchina river. It looks like bark and is white inside. It must be from a shell. The other fossils are very old and there is a lot of this material there. Any idea?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived