Tools

Joshdale

In the search window at top of screen type in tools and search forums, also may want to do saftey as well. Here is one link I copied for you it has some tools.. Depending on what types of areas you hunt tools will vary... You can get second hand tools at flea markets or yard sales... I know its mentioned in a thread somewheres...http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/topic/28720-what-tools-do-i-need/page__hl__tools#entry317099

Hope this helps Jeff

for hunting streams I have a metal sifter and a couple small hand tools that can fit in my pack, for splitting shale or busting siltstone your going to need more heavy duty tools like prybars, sledges... It all depends where youre collecting and the matrix the fossils are in. Tarheel is right about checking out yardsales, it doesnt really matter if your sledge is shiny and new or has a little oxidation and the price difference between new and yardsale tools is considerable..

One of the links at the top of the Foram page has tools reasonably priced.

I like having a couple hammers a 16 oz chisel tip for light work and a 24 oz for harder work. Estwing makes a nice heavy masons hammer that works well. 5 lb sledge hammer. A couple chisels, maybe 1",2" and 3" for splitting shale. Light knit gloves to protect your hands for general work and leather gloves for heavy hammering. Garden trowel. A colander will do in a pinch for light duty stream sifting. Make one out of door screen and 1"x2"s about 2: square if you are doing a lit of sifting. A leather/nylon tool belt with pockets and a hammer loop is very handy. Plastic bags and aluminum foil \ newspapers to hold and wrap specimens, maybe some small vials for delicate specimens. If you are collecting plants clear hair spray will help hold them together. A good back pack to haul all this junk around. A first aid kit. :) . Water. Energy bars. Camera, notebook for field notes. Boots or shoes with rugged soles for rough areas.Old tennies for wading. Rain gear. I keep this stuff in a 50 quart tote to make it easy to load and unload into the car. I think this will cover most collecting that doesn't include overnight stays. Good luck collecting!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

It all kinda' depends on whether you're gonna' be picking up loose stuff, sieving gravel, splitting shale, beatin' on boulders...

You can start with little more than pockets & a K-Bar, and any equipment deficiency for the site, and your style, will become evident pretty quickly.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It all kinda' depends on whether you're gonna' be picking up loose stuff, sieving gravel, splitting shale, beatin' on boulders...

You can start with little more than pockets & a K-Bar, and any equipment deficiency for the site, and your style, will become evident pretty quickly.

I tried to cover most common collecting situations. A paper bag and newspaper will work in some situations. ;-)

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

Back when I was haunting Virginia's Calvert exposures, a nail apron and a shrub rake was as geared up as I needed to get ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Go to the site you intend collecting and do a rough assessment of what you might need....That way your more likely to get tools you will actually use...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I strongly agree with Terry Dactyll, you need to make an assessment of what your up against(materials) before you can buy any tools, because if that is not known they you may be getting tools at random kind of.

: )

And for what it's worth, local hardware stores, and flea markets are great places to get your first tools.

In my opinion, there is no need to shell out tons of cash for tools for use in a hobby you may or may not be totally into.

Easier to give it a try with inexpensive tools, or hwatever you have readily available, before moving on to the cadillac solutions. :)

But that's me - on a budget. You're always able to get better, or more quality tools as you learn what you really need.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Maybe more than anything a variety of containers to put them in. Zip lock bags of various sizes, small boxes, divided plastic boxes, pill bottles or film cans, etc. Newspaper or bubble wrap for protecting stuff. A rucksack to carry all of that. And paper and pen for labeling everything with location info.

Beyond that, as everyone stated above, it depends on location. Some sites require rock pick, chisel, safety goggles, etc. while others you just pick everything up loose and knee pads might be the best thing. Some of the best east coast sites are collected with a wire mesh sifter and you would have no use for a hammer at all and old sneakers and shorts are the uniform.

Herb's is a great comprehensive list; if you collect a lot of different sites eventually you will need all those things.

Amen to flea markets as a source of inexpensive 'experienced' tools. Thrift stores, garage sales too. Look for plastic divided boxes, etc. You will need storage.

At most fossil sites I usually always have at least: backback, baggies, water, notebook/pen, labels, boots.

Depending on the site, I might also need: maps/gps, wetsuit, floating screen and shovel; or hammers & chisels.

Do the research on the site and you will know what to bring, as others have said.

I fly to areas I collect so I'm often limited to what tools I take with me and amount of samples I take out.

Sometimes I plan to take hand samples only, sometimes I buy tools locally; buckets, sieves, hammers and leave them. I've shipped tools and fossils.

Herb's is a great comprehensive list; if you collect a lot of different sites eventually you will need all those things.

Amen to flea markets as a source of inexpensive 'experienced' tools. Thrift stores, garage sales too. Look for plastic divided boxes, etc. You will need storage.

At most fossil sites I usually always have at least: backback, baggies, water, notebook/pen, labels, boots.

Depending on the site, I might also need: maps/gps, wetsuit, floating screen and shovel; or hammers & chisels.

Do the research on the site and you will know what to bring, as others have said.

I fly to areas I collect so I'm often limited to what tools I take with me and amount of samples I take out.

Sometimes I plan to take hand samples only, sometimes I buy tools locally; buckets, sieves, hammers and leave them. I've shipped tools and fossils.

I do collect in many different ages,rocks and streams, that's why the list was so inclusive. Your collecting needs may be less. That being said, it's better to have it and not need it (at the time) than need it and not have it. :D

The vast majority of my finds are on the surface so walking boots, floppy hat and sun block just about covers it. Go out with someone who knows the area as many times as you can to get to know an area.

I think the most interesting tool I use is a gas leaf blower it is absolutely great for clearing overburden at the eurypterid quarry or places like Penn Dixie where you are in one spot splitting rock. A quick blow every half hour or so and you are not kneeling in rock chips. I only use the blower at fixed locations that I can basically drive into . It is a permanant resident of my car trunk.

After this past Saturday my next investment is going to be in a 6 foot long pry bar with chisel tip. Dave and I were using one we borrowed for part of the day and it was much better than the smaller ones that I own. I may also get a slightly larger mini sledge. My current blue eastwing mini sledge was a bit light for such a large pry bar. A big bar might even come in handy at the eurypterid quarry to break through those really stuborn layers.

Also you can never have too many flat boxes in your car when you are hunting eurypterids. Placeing one eurypterid per box lets you keeps all the pieces together till you can get them home to glue them. The norm is that they do not come out in one piece.

Wow malcolmt that is a great idea for clearing even leaves and such from the more wooded areas I have searched. Imagine all the stuff I miss due to leaves.

I plan to look for a cheap fuel leaf blower now. Until then maybe I should pick up a small cheap rake to remove leaf litter. Thanks for the idea.

Robert
Southeast, MO

You can't beat a good pneumatic jack hammer!! :blink:

post-9785-0-54436500-1348177280_thumb.jpg post-9785-0-91877500-1348177681_thumb.jpg

use knife example here

Nice. I want to dig there!! :wub:

You can also get a nice set of "dental" picks for $ 4-5 at a place like Harbor Freight, actually I find a lot of cool tools there for fossil hunting. ( ps, no I don't work there or own stock :D )

Archived