Probably Not Your Average Bone

Shellseeker

Here is one that has me scratching my head -- Not the standard fossil bone texture or color. This one is black and shiney almost like enamel and a "pattern" that sort of reminds me of gator osteoderm. Then there is the striation pattern within the fossil. All in all, does not look like your average fossil bone.

That does not say it can not be, just odd.

post-2220-0-79361800-1347411064_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-20431100-1347411076_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-17032400-1347411088_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-52198900-1347411102_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I sure have no clue what it is but am highly interested!!!! Will be checking this thread! I too am wondering if it is a meteorite!

Found in the Peace River, downstream of Nocatee, Florida. I like ALL the speculations :meg dance: Meteor !!!, Squamosal (I had to look up the word) and it applies to a lot of animals -- both Alligator and Baleen Whale are potentials!!!, Searching the net, I found this http://www.paleodirect.com/mv27-004.htm

A Squamosal is a bone on the upper rear of the skull. So thanks to REJD, Empty Pockets, Raistlin, and especially Opisthotriton.

I am waiting for Bobby, Nate, and Harry to chime in here... with a little luck !!!

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

A simple test for a meteorite is to see if a magnet sticks to it, most have a very high iron content.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Agreed.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Shellseaker looks like your still at it. I've been itching to get back to Peace River with my wife. Waiting for the river levels to fall and most importantly the right opportunity. Looks like 2013 for me.

"One of these day's I'm going to find a tooth over 3inches."

Alligator frontal, squamosal, or other skull bone?

Yuppers. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's what I like about this site! You learn something new everyday!

I would have not guessed this to be part of a skull in a million years.

Crocs, gators, et al, show this surface structure where there is little-to-no tissue between skin and bone.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's what I like about this site! You learn something new everyday!

I would have not guessed this to be part of a skull in a million years.

I know what you mean. TFF is a valued set of friendly experts. This one was in my "box of unknowns" that I occasionally drag out and try to guess on the IDs. Whenever I can not fossil (like now with the summer rains), I satisfy my curiosity by posting photos here.

MegHunter - I know you follow the water depth websites -- the depths are way beyond what would be reasonable. We will see what the late fall brings.

And just to be clear, when paleo nerds say "croc" they are usually saying "crocodilian" so alligators, crocodiles, caimans, and gavials are all considered "crocs."