Welcome To " Collecting Gear; Tools And Techniques "

Auspex

This new forum is for discussing the tools, gear, and their use, as pertains to fossil collecting in the field.

We have long needed a category like this, as evinced by such discussions sprinkled throughout several other, more general, forums. We will be moving those topics to this forum for ease of reference; if you come across a candidate, please post a link to it in this thread.

Thank you!

• I found this Informative 3

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This is gonna be good! :popcorn:

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Great idea.

I am in the middle of creating a "Guide to Fossil Hunting in Qatar Desert" it's quite a big piece with lots of pictures.

It covers:

• Personal safety
  • tools
  • desert driving
  • geology indicators
  • expected finds related to geology

Is this the appropriate place to put it?

Great idea.

I am in the middle of creating a "Guide to Fossil Hunting in Qatar Desert" it's quite a big piece with lots of pictures.

It covers:

• Personal safety
  • tools
  • desert driving
  • geology indicators

Your project it locale-specific, and comprehensive (thank you!).

I have created a Middle East forum in "Fossil Sites", where such a compendium will be looked for and found with ease: LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Show us you prybars!

Show us your screens!

Do you wear waders,

Or do you wear jeans?

I know you wrote this ages ago, but you made me smile today! Thanks

• 1 year later...

Ok. So I'd like to go on my first expedition, somewhere like st Clair pa to collect slate bound fossil plants. What should I bring?

Ok. So I'd like to go on my first expedition, somewhere like st Clair pa to collect slate bound fossil plants. What should I bring?

Someone who has experience collecting that site would be your most valuable asset.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I heard the st.Clair site is hard to find because it is covered with thick vegetation.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

My experience was that it is hard to find because there are multiple paths that can take you down the wrong way even when you think you have good directions. first time going with someone who knows the place will help.

• 7 months later...

Yes this will be good. Any suggestions on how to build a lighter sifter? Mine is heave to carry long distances

Before you just drive out to St. Clair you need to check out these two links.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/57671-a-field-trip-to-saint-clair-pa/?hl=st.clair

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/56923-latest-info-on-st-clair-pa-as-of-aug-16-2015/?hl=st.clair

Edited by ZiggieCie

Yes this will be good. Any suggestions on how to build a lighter sifter? Mine is heave to carry long distances

As with so much else, you have to choose two fundamental criteria from a list of three: Durability, Light Weight, Low Cost.

I have seen sifters with frames made of PVC pipe, which cuts the weight, but probably the longevity too if not babied a little.

• 6 years later...
On 9/15/2012 at 10:03 PM, Jocky said:

Great idea.

It covers:

• Personal safety
  • tools
  • desert driving
  • geology indicators

WOW, I have just arrived to this forum so, have you published that piece already? (I see it's an old comment) I would be very interested in reading it, thank you.