Welcome To " Fossil Preparation; Tools And Techniques "

Auspex

This new forum is for discussing the tools, gear, and their use, as pertains to fossil preparation and preservation.

We have long needed a category like this, as evinced by such discussions sprinkled throughout several other, more general, forums. We will be moving those topics to this forum for ease of reference; if you come across a candidate, please post a link to it in this thread.

Thank you!

• I found this Informative 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Great idea! I've gleened some info from several members here and I'm still learning new techniques.

The folks at Paleo Tool gave some very good advice when I told them about concretions from the Pacific NW. Here's the link, hope it helps :)

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.paleotools.com/products.html&sa=U&ei=IPhUUL3hG8TXigKC0YDADA&ved=0CCEQFjAD&usg=AFQjCNHja7Qlvsdl05JaElbv7_xLeeB7Qg

• I found this Informative 1

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Great idea! I've gleened some info from several members here and I'm still learning new techniques. The folks at Paleo Tool gave some very good advice when I told them about concretions from the Pacific NW. Here's the link, hope it helps :)

http://www.google.co...aElbv7_xLeeB7Qg

Thanks! Instead of putting this link on the discussion board, it will be in the Forum's "links" section.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Another excellent addition to the forum! Thank you admins and moderators.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Awesome, Auspex! So far, here's what I've learned on my own:

1. Scrubbing rocks with brushes every day causes ones knuckles to swell until your hands can't open and close anymore. It does not enhance the rocks much, either.

2. Cleaning rocks with a pressure washer either causes underlying fossils to become more visible or blows away all the details of what you thought you saw until you can't see it anymore.

3. Baby oil does bring out colors and makes rocks look better. At first. Then it soaks in and all the rocks turn black.

4. Letting rocks and gravel from Murfreesboro sit in buckets of water behind the shed for a year does not seem to produce diamonds, just slimy algae and millions of mosquito larvae.

5. How the heck DO people get those beautiful shiny trilobites to appear out of an ordinary rock?

• I found this Informative 10
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Awesome, Auspex! So far, here's what I've learned on my own:

1. Scrubbing rocks with brushes every day causes ones knuckles to swell until your hands can't open and close anymore. It does not enhance the rocks much, either.

2. Cleaning rocks with a pressure washer either causes underlying fossils to become more visible or blows away all the details of what you thought you saw until you can't see it anymore.

3. Baby oil does bring out colors and makes rocks look better. At first. Then it soaks in and all the rocks turn black.

4. Letting rocks and gravel from Murfreesboro sit in buckets of water behind the shed for a year does not seem to produce diamonds, just slimy algae and millions of mosquito larvae.

5. How the heck DO people get those beautiful shiny trilobites to appear out of an ordinary rock?

Very practical insights and hard-won wisdom indeed, Rocks Anne! :D

• I Agree 1

• 3 months later...

In archeology we make flint artefacts shine and show more details by using "NASENFETT" ( german expression).

It can be quickly done by rubbing your finger at both side next to the nosewings and then put it on the artefact.

For some fossils like trilobites and others with a smooth surface it works as well!

This is no joke.

For prepping very fine fossils like green valeyfish I use straight pointed surgical blades. They work great!

Peter

• I found this Informative 1

• 1 year later...

Those nice shiny trilobites quite often take quite a bit of work with dental tools, an air scribe and air abrasion equipment or any combination of those. Unfortunately they generally don't just appear on their own. Though occasionally you get lucky and find one that has split out of the matrix just right and then had some water (acid rain) erosion to clean it up a bit

Edited by Malcolmt
  • I found this Informative 3

for someone who has never broken apart a fossil let alone prepped a fossil before, where would they begin? Say they have a gastropod shell partial exposed in some sedimentary rock, what tools (not too expensive) and what techniques would they need to begin?

• I found this Informative 2

for someone who has never broken apart a fossil let alone prepped a fossil before, where would they begin? Say they have a gastropod shell partial exposed in some sedimentary rock, what tools (not too expensive) and what techniques would they need to begin?

Hand scribe, dental pick, small cold chisel & light hammer, and most of all, patience. :)

Practice a bit on similar material first.

• I found this Informative 8

Hand scribe, dental pick, small cold chisel & light hammer, and most of all, patience. :)

Practice a bit on similar material first.

What is a hand scribe and a cold chisel?

On 1/2/2014 at 12:32 PM, yukunerk said:

What is a hand scribe and a cold chisel?

Hand Scribe is a needle like tool. You can pick off excess matrix using one of these. These were designed to mark metal, tools, etc. with serial numbers or initials/names or dates.

Cold chisels, rather than wood chisels.

Cold chisels are designed for, ... and strong enough to be used for breaking rocks. Wood chisels are made of softer metals, and not designed to work against stone. Could shatter.

That could ruin your day.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 8

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

What is the opinion on the Chicago CP710, as a first scribe for Ord, Sil, Devonian Brachs, Croinides, etc. I do have an air abradier (Harbor freight) but need a scribe first.

Never used it; but often a used CP 9361 the industry standard for most of us as a first scribe can be had at auction on eBay for $100 to $125 if you take your time and shop carefully. This is not that much more than they are charging for a new CP710 which can generally be had for about $80. You can literally take any used CP9361 and with a few readily available extra parts off eBay (new stylus, new o rings, new springs)make it like new.

• I found this Informative 4

THX Malcolmt, I'll have to watch for one on sale on Ebay. The new ones are a bit pricey to start with.

• 4 months later...

I have just had my world torn apart...:-( I just dropped my air pen and the stylus has snapped off, anyone know of anywhere I can get one please. asap.Thanks Julie.

On 5/20/2014 at 10:03 AM, juju said:

I have just had my world torn apart...:-( I just dropped my air pen and the stylus has snapped off, anyone know of anywhere I can get one please. asap.Thanks Julie.

Have you tried contacting Ken Manion?

Also, what brand air pen do you have?

Good luck!

Regards,

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

Juju! Long time no see!

Definitely check with Ken Mannion: LINK

Just spent the last week hitting some spots in Pennsylvania, at one location some fossilized fish and bugs were raised and extremely brittle making it next to impossible to transport them to home. Does anyone know of a fixative that could be used in the field? Sometimes the remaining imprint was unrecognizable. What is an air pen? I have been trying different techniques to clean up my fossils and make them pop. Could someone please give a step by step demo of what they do to prep their collections? I am an amateur collector and new to the site, my lack of knowledge and use of the correct terminology makes me feel quite insecure about posting, so please forgive. Fossil collecting has become quite an obsession, :D

Thank You

Just spent the last week hitting some spots in Pennsylvania, at one location some fossilized fish and bugs were raised and extremely brittle making it next to impossible to transport them to home. Does anyone know of a fixative that could be used in the field? Sometimes the remaining imprint was unrecognizable. What is an air pen? I have been trying different techniques to clean up my fossils and make them pop. Could someone please give a step by step demo of what they do to prep their collections? I am an amateur collector and new to the site, my lack of knowledge and use of the correct terminology makes me feel quite insecure about posting, so please forgive. Fossil collecting has become quite an obsession, :D

Thank You

Welcome to the Forum. :)

You have lots of questions!

Fossil prep is dependent on what type of fossils are being prepped, and the hardness or softness of the surrounding/encasing matrix.

FOSSIL PREPARATION LINKS

Fossil Consolidants and Fixatives

An "airpen" is an Air scribe, or pneumatic engraver. This is an air powered tool, that works like a mini-jack hammer. It has a pointed or chisel type stylus, and is used to remove surrounding matrix from fossils.

The general idea is to use the airpen to remove overlaying or surrounding matrix from the fossil, then finish it off with either hand tools, or an "air eraser" (mini- sandblaster/ air powered abrasive shooter) or "air dent" as they are sometimes called.

As far as fixitives, some people use duct tape, or electrical tape for covering items that may tend to shatter during extraction. Others use superglue, or paraloid to soak into the fossil before attempting removal.

As far as step by step demos, look at Youtube for fossil preparation videos - they will give you an idea about what is involved.

Also, search the forum for Fossil Prep. You should get plenty of results.

Also, please don't feel insecure about posting, and asking questions... we all had to start somewhere. :D

Can you take some pictures of your finds, and start a new thread under fossil trips to show us what you found, and maybe we can help with some ideas on how to go about things?

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19
  • I found this Informative 7

Thank You for your response. Very helpful! Just a few more questions concerning air scribe.....Can you attach them to a regular air compressor? What sort of pressure is needed?

What pressure would be too much? I will be posting my finds as soon as I get some good pics also I have a fossil or (rock) I would like to have ID, but still trying to clean it up. Again, thank you for your kind response.