Fishing Vest Is A Great Help.

Raistlin

I bought a fishing/outdoor vest for my outings and it has been very useful. The one I bought I got off of eBay for about $23. It has multiple pockets, the back can be opened up to keep you cool and it has a water bottle pouch as well.

I am able to carry my camera, magnifying camera, a small handheld magnifier Ziploc bags and more within quick reach of my hands while leaving them free. I could also use a pocket for various small tools and a baggy of fossils so that I do not misplace it.

I have been out a few times now with the vest and all I can say is that I highly recommend that if you do not have a vest similar that you use one as well. It is nice not having to dig into a pack of everything, and that some of the more delicate things can be kept safe on my person.

For those interested here is the vest I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280942871396?var=580124683371&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Robert
Southeast, MO

May none of your pockets go unfilled! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Haha I work to keep them full.

It was really nice the other day having my baggy of fossils right there at hand and still having my hands free to collect more stuff. I completely underestimated the vest idea. Now that I have used one, it will be with me every trip I take.

After the vest I got to thinking that you can never have too many pockets or places to carry stuff. I have been looking into some tacktical style gear, I mean if it works for military/swat it will work for the fossil collector as well lol.

Robert
Southeast, MO

I often wear my vest for fossil collecting, but mine is cotton. I would advise anyone buying one of these to get one like yours in nylon. It drys faster and keeps you cooler. But only keep the good fossils in a ziplock baggy, medicine bottle or one of the zippered pockets because when you are bending over looking at that latest find, the other pockets can dump out on you.

Yeah I use zipper bags, madicine bottles, and the zippered pockets. The pockets work great for keeping the bag or bottle close at hand to add more fossils. I think I already mentioned that though.

Robert
Southeast, MO

After the vest I got to thinking that you can never have too many pockets or places to carry stuff. I have been looking into some tacktical style gear, I mean if it works for military/swat it will work for the fossil collector as well lol.

Your post reminded me of this Dry Dredgers lecture I saw on YouTube:

Gear up! B)

i'm a big fan of my cheap harbor freight tool apron on certain trips... more freedom than a backpack, lots of room for fossils, phone, tools, clip keys to tool hanger, etc. its nice just to drop finds into pockets rather than fussing with bags or bottles.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

What a genius idea! I had a fly vest that I don't use anymore that I can put to use. I guess the other option is a sling pack also for fly fishing you can usually pick up from cabelas for cheap! Thanks for the great idea!

Your post reminded me of this Dry Dredgers lecture I saw on YouTube:

Gear up! B)

Haha yeah that was pretty cool. I have a better backpack on the way, military stylish and I am thinking about getting a leg pack as well. You know those leg pouches that strap to your leg. Or maybe I could just get a few pair of collecting pants that have a lot of pockets, but the leg pack is cheaper than new clothes lol.

Robert
Southeast, MO

i'm a big fan of my cheap harbor freight tool apron on certain trips... more freedom than a backpack, lots of room for fossils, phone, tools, clip keys to tool hanger, etc. its nice just to drop finds into pockets rather than fussing with bags or bottles.

Do you carry any bag or containers though, maybe foil for nice specimens?

Robert
Southeast, MO

What a genius idea! I had a fly vest that I don't use anymore that I can put to use. I guess the other option is a sling pack also for fly fishing you can usually pick up from cabelas for cheap! Thanks for the great idea!

That is what is great about this place we share ideas and hep each other out. Not everyone will like the idea of wearing a vest, but there are at least a few out there that will.

I got the idea sort of because I was tired of digging in my pack every time I see something. My hammer hangs on the back bottom of the bag and can be reached without taking off the pack. But I got tired of digging for bags and bottles all the time, so I thought of getting a vest.

Robert
Southeast, MO

That is what is great about this place we share ideas and hep each other out. Not everyone will like the idea of wearing a vest, but there are at least a few out there that will.

I got the idea sort of because I was tired of digging in my pack every time I see something. My hammer hangs on the back bottom of the bag and can be reached without taking off the pack. But I got tired of digging for bags and bottles all the time, so I thought of getting a vest.

I hear ya on that! I have a military style back pack that is abuse proof that can store just about anything on it and in but I find it kinda inconvenient to dig around in there to find what I'm looking for. With my vest it has a gillzillion pockets to put things like bags, notebook, etc and the only thing I can't figure out is how to strap a hammer to it. Ill figure something out. Maybe ill just switch everything fly fishing back to the vest and try the sling pack I have. It has straps underneath that would clip a hammer to.

You might find a way to attach your hammer to a belt or belt loop using one of the rock climbing clips or something like that.

Robert
Southeast, MO

Oh yeah, that's a carabiner! You can either use the cheap ones or the more expensive ones with locks on them! The more expensive ones are used for rock climbing purposes and can usually be found on sale at REI! thanks again. Looks like ill have some fun tonight decking out a fly vest for fossils. As soon as I get done posting pics from my last trip ill have a go at it

Edited by fossilnoob

That is a good idea also.

I once seen something that was like a nylon loop that I guess would work as well.

Robert
Southeast, MO

• 8 months later...

If there was ever a time I wished it was okay to bring back the fanny pack, it would be when fossilling! Great idea with the fishing vest!