9-27 Hunt On Chesapeake Bay

Maryland Mike

After seeing the myriad (that's for you tracer) Megs Bmorefossil and his dad found I almost didn't want to take the time to photograph and edit photos of my finds for the day. My wife, the Megalodog, Alex, and I enjoyed the day. We got an early start and there were only a couple of people ahead of us on the beach.

My first good find was the largest hemi I've ever found so far

post-392-1223436820_thumb.jpg

Then I found the most perfect individual bit of ray plate I have ever seen. Unlike most of what I find the base is not black or brown but a translucent white almost like a polyethelyne milk jug. If I hadn't found it in the surf myself and someone had showed it to me I would have thought it was a fake.

post-392-1223436995_thumb.jpg

My wife then tripped over a small block while wading past one of the larger falls and sent the Megalodog, who she was carrying for a swim. She decided to sit for a while whilst I went down the beach about as far as it was useful to go.

There I found what I believe is a juvenile Mako with small cusplets.

post-392-1223437191_thumb.jpg

Later I picked up a nice porpoise tooth and some other goodies and lots of small teeth as is usual at that location.

post-392-1223437300_thumb.jpgpost-392-1223437321_thumb.jpgpost-392-1223437347_thumb.jpgpost-392-1223437417_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking that small bit of rib bone may be bird. I'll have to drop by Auspex's shop one of these days and see what he thinks.

All in all it seemed like a pretty good day (at least until I checked the forum and had to fight off an attack of the green monster). We stopped back at the main beach and gave away some of the small teeth to some of the kids who hadn't found any yet.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

Dear MM - My son would tell you that the hemipristis tooth is "gnar". Your bonus point usage of the term "myriad" was unfortunately offset by your somewhat less than poetic comparison of the poor ray plate segment to a milk jug, and throwing in the misspelling of polyethylene. I will give you points for trying, however, and you're clearly finding far more fossils than I, so onward! Just remember to eschew obfuscation.

..eschew obfuscation.

Gesundheit!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I believe the one you think is a small mako is actually a lateral from a sand tiger

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Your white ray bar may be a modern one from one of the many rays that are cruising around the bay. One day you'll be chest deep in the bay and you'll see two triangular fins about two feet apart heading right at you. Don't worry, it's not two sharks teaming up to get you it's just a Cow Nosed Ray having a little fun at your expense. It's guaranteed to raise the hair on the back of your neck the first time it happens.

I believe the one you think is a small mako is actually a lateral from a sand tiger

Yeah, I was wondering if it wasn't something other than Mako, but couldn't find anything that seemed quite right. It's hard to tell from the photo, but it seems to have two somewhat irregular cusplets on each side. Any thoughts on species?

Calvert Formation float, Miocene.

Your white ray bar may be a modern one from one of the many rays that are cruising around the bay. One day you'll be chest deep in the bay and you'll see two triangular fins about two feet apart heading right at you. Don't worry, it's not two sharks teaming up to get you it's just a Cow Nosed Ray having a little fun at your expense. It's guaranteed to raise the hair on the back of your neck the first time it happens.

I was thinking that might be a possibility. Does anyone know, does modern ray plate look like translucent white plastic?

I was thinking that might be a possibility. Does anyone know, does modern ray plate look like translucent white plastic?

Pretty much.

Archived