It Was The Best Of Times, It Was The Worst Of Times

Maryland Mike

My wife, the Megalodog (Alex, the miniature poodle who thinks he is a great dane) went to Flag Ponds and were the second car there at 9:00AM when they opened. Low tide was supposed to be about 11:30, so we started up the beach. I was finding a plethora (tracer, here's another just for you) of bone chunks, including one nice vertebra just below the surf line.

post-392-1223438065_thumb.jpgpost-392-1223438076_thumb.jpg

It had to be the absolute worst day for finding sharks teeth. it was extremely sandy, spongey sand too and there was not much of a shell and gravel line. Neither my wife nor I saw a single tooth, except for the very few that some other folks had picked up.

After driving nearly two hours to get to the beach we decided to try Brownie's Beach to see if we could do any better.

We got there at low tide and it was extremely low. Sandbars were exposed and my wife thought it was great, she wouldn't trip over any rocks. Collecting conditions couldn't have been worse. Again extremely sandy and virtually no shell line. I told my wife that if we found anything worthwhile it would be amongst some of the rocks that are usually underwater and hard to see because the surf was murky. Because of the low tide and the fact that we got there after noon the area was really picked over and of course the surf wasn't hitting the usual shore so nothing was getting stirred up.

I had found maybe 6 or 8 small teeth along a stretch where 50-100 small teeth would be normal if you picked them all up, got as far up the beach as was practical and was about 1/4 of the way back when I found a Meg just where I told my wife anything worthwhile would be. It was sticking straight up out of the mud and at least 15 or 20 people must have passed it (there was even a high school science class trip out there). Since it is my very first Meg, you can imagine I was pretty excited and forgot to take my phone out and take an in situ photo. Oh, well, maybe next time.

It is just a baby for a Meg and the root is broken, but it is my first and maybe my dry spell is broken.

post-392-1223438806_thumb.jpg

Needless to say, I didn't care if I didn't find anything else on the walk back. My wife only found two teeth, but one was an angel shark tooth, so she wasn't as disappointed as she had been when I explained those are only about 1 in 200 or more. Finally the surf began to roll in and a little bit of stuff was getting exposed. That would have been the time to walk the beach if I had had the energy for a third go.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

Well, MM, it's all relative. A plethora of anything other than debris is better than around here. My son's shark-tooth looking beach is gone. I'm not sure where it went, but it's gone.

Well, you sill found some nice stuff. Didn't see your wife's angel shark tooth.

Those are really cool looking teeth. Do you have a pic or did I miss it?

Welcome to the forum!

I want to see your Meg Dance on YouTube; Congratulations!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

what great colors for being form flag ponds!!!!! i mean the meg is just awsome

Actually, the Meg was from Brownie's Beach.

Well, you sill found some nice stuff. Didn't see your wife's angel shark tooth.

Those are really cool looking teeth. Do you have a pic or did I miss it?

No, no picture of the angel shark tooth. They are really too small to get a decent image of with my camera. One of these days I'll get one of those digital microscopes. I really like them too.

I want to see your Meg Dance on YouTube; Congratulations!

Thanks, but I don't do YouTube or any of that social networking stuff. I do more of a Meg Holler anyway.

I bet you sounded like Johnny Weismuller!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I bet you sounded like Johnny Weismuller!

Not much, but I can still swim faster than he did.

Archived