Can't Find Meg So I Made One

thair

Well this is not a hunting trip but since I can't find a Meg in this part of the world (central Texas) I decided to make one. Messed up some but I was wanting an example to put along side my Petalodus teeth.

post-3664-0-64094900-1348144991_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-60247100-1348145012_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-28758500-1348145031_thumb.jpg

??????????????

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Well this is not a hunting trip but since I can't find a Meg in this part of the world (central Texas) I decided to make one. Messed up some but I was wanting an example to put along side my Petalodus teeth.

It is very purty!! If you "built this Meg", you have some talent.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

"authentic reliquiae made while you wait"

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Much nicer than the beast I made once! Mine was part of an elaborate joke on a fossil hunting buddy; it suffered an unfortunate end...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The root is a little too "shiney" but other than that I'd think it was the real deal. Nicely done. I'd be proud to display it with the authentic megs I've found if I had created something like that. Congrats on a great job.

Fabulous job.... Very talented.... You would of fooled me with it in a case of teeth....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

You know you could likely sell these replicas to get you some cash to help your collection/hunting.

That is provided you listed them as replicas.

Heck, if the price is right I would be interested.

Robert
Southeast, MO

You talents are wasted here! Morrocco is the place to be! Really though, very nice. Is it sculpted?

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

You talents are wasted here! Morrocco is the place to be! Really though, very nice. Is it sculpted?

Brent Ashcraft

Yes epoxy putty (Magic Sculpt). I started with a flat layer then built upon that. I am taking home tonight to rub soom dirt/sand on it to take of some of the gloss. I will take a couple more pictures after I dirty it up some.

You might try to use #0000 steel wool. It is fine and will not show a lot of scratching but should help to remove some gloss.

Robert
Southeast, MO

Great replica!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

You might try to use #0000 steel wool. It is fine and will not show a lot of scratching but should help to remove some gloss.

I was thinking that or very fine 'wet and dry'. Next time, try using a very fine pin to form small strokes and pits, or get a latex impression of an actual root and imprint it. The display side will tend to be a lot smoother than the reverse. Either way, it's a great job.

Well I use sand and dirt form my yard to adjust the finish on the tooth. Below are some pictures. I also decided to do another and will try some different techniques so I took a few pictures of the process.

Thanks for all the coments and sugestions. This is my kind of wasting time while I watch the Ranger game last night.

post-3664-0-90729000-1348240775_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-91565700-1348240793_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-91306700-1348240806_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-51480500-1348240830_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1