Cretaceous Hunt In Ne Texas

barefootgirl

I took the day off from studying to catch some sunshine and hit my favorite creek. I was very please with what I found today. Things came in pairs today it seemed. I found 2 ammonites, 2 goblin shark teeth and 2 ptychodus mortoni. I also found a very large tooth I have yet to identify because I can't find my shark tooth book.

post-1082-0-36333800-1348361869_thumb.jpg

This was the shocker for me today. By far the biggest tooth ever found out at my site. I just stood there and stared at it for a moment and then looked around thinking some was playing a trick on me. I was alone so I ruled that out quick and then went straight into super happy mode!

post-1082-0-05782500-1348361684_thumb.jpg

Sat down to take a break and this little guy was sitting right next to me. Love it when that happens. Goblin shark

post-1082-0-49813200-1348361660_thumb.jpg

This is what I went out to find today and was so happy when I found this. ptychodus mortoni

post-1082-0-61913200-1348361721_thumb.jpg

I wish it was complete but thought it was still a nice find. Ammonite

post-1082-0-60389200-1348362433_thumb.jpg

This little ammonite just needs a little work to get him free and looking pretty.

post-1082-0-78561900-1348361701_thumb.jpg

All the teeth I found today. The one ptychodus on the bottom at left side of pict had some good feeding wear on it.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Nice finds, Tera - glad you could take a break and get out to hunt.

Congrats on that huge tooth!

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

My best guess on that large tooth I found is Cretoxyrihna Mantelli.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Glad to hear you got the chance to go hunting...and give yourself a break. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I'm sure I missed a few! :D

Alfred North Whithead

Great finds! The teeth are really splendid! I have never found an ammonite......so cool! Thanks for sharing.

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

I just love finding Ptychodus mortoni. That one is a beauty!

Jon

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

Sorry to have joined comments late on your finds, have been enjoying Texas visitors the entire month of Sept, have a couple here now. Nice finds, the creek just keeps on giving, Mortoni teeth are awesome and yes the large tooth is Mantelli, have several from the creek. Nice to see that you havent't retired and still bringing home the fossils---Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Sorry to have joined comments late on your finds, have been enjoying Texas visitors the entire month of Sept, have a couple here now. Nice finds, the creek just keeps on giving, Mortoni teeth are awesome and yes the large tooth is Mantelli, have several from the creek. Nice to see that you havent't retired and still bringing home the fossils---Tom

I would never give up on this creek. I hit a spot that I haven't been down to in a while and it really paid off. Found some more of the formation the mortoni are coming from. That Mantelli was such an awesome unexpected find. Most definitely the biggest tooth I've found in our creek. :D

Alfred North Whithead

BFG.... Great ammonite.... Should look good prepped up next to your nautilus....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)