Cephalopod

Northern Sharks

This past weekend I gave up going to my local spot and made the trip to Bowmanville ON. This site is renowned for it's Isotelus mafritzae trilobites among others. I understand it's one of the few places in the world where that species can be found. It had been closed to collectors for somme time, but in the last few years, they've allowed us back in one day a year as long as you belong to a club or are a guest of a member. I didn't get my bug, although a couple of nice ones were found. Isotelus and Pseudogygites pygidiums were everywhere in the bottom of the pit, but complete critters eluded me. At the top layer, we split some shale for a while. Again, lots of Pseudogygites tails and Triarthrus heads, but nothing complete. I did however manage to bring home the largest fossil found on the day, a section of a cephalopod. I wasn't 100% sure what it was, so when I described it, I just said it looks kind of like the top of the Empire State building. I believe it's 2 layers of the main body and a section of the siphuncle at the end.

post-77-1223506337_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Have seen lots of partial cephalopods, have found some too.

That one is more complete than I have ever seen.

Bet you are happy with that!

Welcome to the forum!

Nice find. I'm sure Thomas Jefferson would have found it fascinating as well.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

Nice! I'm thinking Actinoceras sp.

Can you give me a "Cephalopods for Dummies" answer why you narrowed it down to that species. This area would be Cobourg formation and I don't have a faunal list. Actinoceras is known from the Bobcaygeon, but there are several other species in this area

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Guest solius symbiosus

^The size and shape of the siphuncle. I found a site that was a good reference for Ordovician Cephalopoda, but I didn't book mark it. I'll see if I can find it again.