Where To Buy Butvar?

discsnstones

Sorry if this is already posted, but searched the forum and couln't find an answer.

I am looking for Butvar-76 in small quantities. Only need about 20 pounds to prep some mortality plates and a few small bones. Where can I find some? Online order preferred!

Thanks for the help :)

I have also ordered from there. Relatively fast, I think it shipped within a two days.

Since you are dissolving it, a little bit goes a relatively long way.

• 5 weeks later...

I have 2 question

1) Dose anyone know witch BUTVAR is best for preserving river fossils is it BUTVAR -76 or BUTVAR-98 or dose it not really matter witch one I use?

2) and how dose Paraloid B-72 stack up against Butvar

A lot of museums use butvar -76.

I have a verysmall quantity of Paraloid B-72 that I recieved as a sample. I have not formulated a personal opinion on it yet. The vendor suggested to me that it was the closest that they could supply that would work for me like vinac.

My preference as a consolidant is very dilute Vinac in acetone. However I am almost out of it and have not found any supplier that will ship a small quantity to Canada (500 to 1000 grams). The company I originally bought from many years ago does not even exist anymore. If anyone knows of a supplier of vinac that will ship to Canada please let me know, 500 grams would literally last me for years.

Having used Butvar-76 and Vinac I generally prefer vinac for the invertebrate fossils that I work on. The butvar when made into a thick solution can be used as a reversable glue. To me the butvar alters the colour / look of the fossil more than the vinac. The Butvar I have is a white powder but it takes on a bit of a yellowish tinge when in acetone solution, especially as it gets thicker. The vinac I have is in the form of perfectly clear tiny beads.

Edited by Malcolmt