What Are These Cristals On The This Sea Urchins?

Dromiopsis

Hello!

15 years ago, I have found this broken sea urchin (Gymnocidaris?) in the kimmeridgian of La rochelle (France) on the atlantic coast(Pointe du Chay).

On the surface, there are cristals of calcite exactly on the tubercules...

My question is, are they previous spines in place recrystallized in calcite cristal?

Thanks in advance

D

post-5175-0-47185900-1348666334_thumb.jpg

post-5175-0-94340300-1348666357_thumb.jpg

post-5175-0-78033400-1348666413_thumb.jpg

post-5175-0-71864300-1348666437_thumb.jpg

post-5175-0-07857900-1348666465_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dromiopsis

Looks like calcite crystals to me. Not sure if they're from the spikes or just formed because so much organic matter was present that surrounded the host upon it's demise. It would be cool if the calcite formed at each spike!

Edited by CH4ShotCaller

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Looks like calcite crystals to me. Not sure if they're from the spikes or just formed because so much organic matter was present that surrounded the host upon it's demise. It would be cool if the calcite formed at each spike!

Hello CH4ShotCaller,

Thanks for your answer, I have already example of the case you explain (please see picture of an Echinocorys where the Bryozoa fragments have been partially transformed into calcite crystals.

But in that case, each crystals begin on each tubercules...not ramdomly...

Thanks again

D

post-5175-0-55287700-1348673476_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dromiopsis

Hi,

In La Rochelle area, sea urchin spines and tests are in calcite. I don't think that the calcite crystals are spines, because the sea urchin spines are in calcite, but they keep all their decoration (structures and reliefs). Here, we distinguish crystals of calcite very well trained(formed).

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hi,

In La Rochelle area, sea urchin spines and tests are in calcite. I don't think that the calcite crystals are spines, because the sea urchin spines are in calcite, but they keep all their decoration (structures and reliefs). Here, we distinguish crystals of calcite very well trained(formed).

Coco

Hello Coco,

thanks for your answer.If it's not an epigenesis of spines, why should we have a nucleation only from tubercules? the crystals grow in the same direction as spine.

D

Edited by Dromiopsis

perhaps the tubercles were points of crystal growth because they protruded into a cavity. the crystal growth partially filling the cavity in the other picture shows origin on one side and growth in one direction, the most protuberant part of the cavity wall may have been the best place for the crystal to start, have also seen crystal growth follow unusual paths in other situations, attached pic is a Eutrephoceras with crystals following the siphuncle route from our local Peedee Fm (Maastrichtian), the siphuncle aperture is filled with crystals and growth connects to the next opening

post-1757-0-95925900-1348748935_thumb.jpg

perhaps the tubercles were points of crystal growth because they protruded into a cavity. the crystal growth partially filling the cavity in the other picture shows origin on one side and growth in one direction, the most protuberant part of the cavity wall may have been the best place for the crystal to start, have also seen crystal growth follow unusual paths in other situations, attached pic is a Eutrephoceras with crystals following the siphuncle route from our local Peedee Fm (Maastrichtian), the siphuncle aperture is filled with crystals and growth connects to the next opening

Hello Plax,

Thanks for the explanation, it's true that the growth of a crystal is not easy to understand...

By the way, very nice picture you add in the post!

I got one Orthoceras from the lower Ordovician of Öland, Sweden, completly crystallised inside

D

post-5175-0-60795000-1348760806_thumb.jpg