How Turtles Got Their Shells

Roz

"Exactly why turtles evolved their shell remains a mystery..."

Uh, protection against predators?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Nicholas
"Exactly why turtles evolved their shell remains a mystery..."

Uh, protection against predators?

I think they did it for the chicks. ;)

Guest solius symbiosus

"their body plan is the world's oldest, changing little over 200 million years"... aaah, the lingulids have been around since the Cambrian; and they have undergone relatively little change since then.

Guest Nicholas
"their body plan is the world's oldest, changing little over 200 million years"... aaah, the lingulids have been around since the Cambrian; and they have undergone relatively little change since then.

Score one for Solius.

Oh, come on, what would the lingulids be without the linguboxes? And turtles didn't evolve their shells. Every third grader knows that big she shells' critters die off and the turtles move into their shells, switching shells as they get bigger. Sheesh. Don't ya'll read wikis?

My other theory is that the shells existed first and evolved into having turtles in them so they could move around more. They were bored.

Guest bmorefossil
I think they did it for the chicks. ;)

well i would have to say they did it for protection, the first few shells allowed for the turtles to live longer and over the 200 million years the shells became larger and in some cases thicker. Most turtles will hide in their shells if you pick them up i think this is a sign of them using the shells for protection

The turlte in it's shell can be interesting study, but me I'm still looking for turtle teeth

Lance, yes it does a bit.

Grandpa Dino, I didn't know turtles had teeth back then since they

don't now. Couldn't find a pic either.

Welcome to the forum!

Guest Nicholas
well i would have to say they did it for protection, the first few shells allowed for the turtles to live longer and over the 200 million years the shells became larger and in some cases thicker. Most turtles will hide in their shells if you pick them up i think this is a sign of them using the shells for protection

That comment was more of a evolution joke, I agree with you. I think there is no question in saying it was a defense mechanism.

I have searched for an hour, and cannot find one fossilized turtle tooth.

I found an article that mentions them is all.

They must be really rare, so good luck, Grandpa Dino!

Welcome to the forum!

actually, there is an explanation for turtle shells that most are unaware of. The major point is that they're still evolving, but they're "stuck" in the process because of an almost complete extinction of the environmental stimulus which prompted their adaptive change. You may have noticed that turtle shells are wide, rounded, and somewhat smooth, for the most part. You may have also noted that some of them appear flatter on the bottom, and more curved on the top, which is almost like a wing in cross section, implying if they were to be rapidly spun through the air sideways, they would have aerodynamic lift, which would be an advantage in preventing hard landings.

OK, now bear with me whilst I build the other side of this card house. OK, suppose a predator hunting turtles had no teeth, and therefore took to catching them by grabbing by the tail and slinging them sideways. Does the term "frisbee" come to mind? I thought it would.

Basically, turtles evolved their shells because they knew someday they'd have to deal with turtleman.

Me thinks 'twood be a fearsome visage!

post-423-1223599517_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I am plain confused then. Read an article on MSN encarta that says todays

turtles don't have teeth, but that one sure does.

Welcome to the forum!

I am plain confused then. Read an article on MSN encarta that says todays

turtles don't have teeth, but that one sure does.

That's a great big Leatherback; the "teeth" are actually bristles, evolved for eating jellyfish.

That's a great big Leatherback; the "teeth" are actually bristles, evolved for eating jellyfish.

Thanks for clearing that up. The bristles sure could pass for teeth.

I can rest now.... :)

Welcome to the forum!

Someone on a reptile forum posted this link of a great pdf, with

lots of info, and really good pictures on early turtles. Seems Germany

may have some great ones.

The pdf is HUGE, so u might want to save first.

Turtle pdf here

Welcome to the forum!