Pacific Northwest, Clackamas River Find: Tooth, Tusk, Wood?

Joeyjojojo

Hello,

I live on the Clackamas River near Oregon City, OR, USA. There are some really neat things that wash up on the shore but this one grabbed my eye. I have no knowledge of fossils or bones but that is why I am here, seeking help in identification.

I found it along the bank of the river, just laying there, did not have to dig it out or anything. The curvature, proportion and internal structures of this object did not necessarily look like wood to me so I am wondering if this is in fact some sort of tusk or tooth and if so, what animal it may be from? I have tried to provide some clear, informative pictures to give an idea of the size and features of interest. Thanks in advance for your help!

post-10085-0-44704900-1348765777_thumb.jpgpost-10085-0-98455000-1348765779_thumb.jpgpost-10085-0-84992600-1348765781_thumb.jpg

Yes, wood; the second picture shows the ring structure clearly.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thought that this was probably the case, well, thanks guys! Perhaps one of these days something of interest will turn up on the riverbank...